Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Talk about lame... I inadvertently wrote the check for the California taxes in the amount that I had already paid (witholding, etc.) rather than the amount that was currently due. I didn't realize that I had done this until the thing was already in the mail. The error was not insignificant -- the check is about 20% short.

The Franchise Tax Board website's response to questions about missing W2's etc. is to wait until the state notifies you of the error because (presumably) if you send in new paperwork before they process your first submission things will get horribly confused.

On this basis I guess I just wait for them to send me a bill, but it's a little scary. Any advice? (The money itself is not a problem; I just screwed up.)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.