Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
No, I'm not looking to paint the carpet, but my son's rather small bedroom has a deep red carpet in it and red curtains. Currently the walls are white as is much of the house. I was thinking of putting a reddish brown on the walls, but not too deep a shade. Any other ideas? What goes with red?

Hopeless at this stuff.

IP
Print the post Back To Top
I think you would have too much red. Maybe a pale blue? (And who said all the walls have to be the same color?)
I know I'm not going to be living in that room but I'm in there more than I like. I personally hate the color blue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

IP
Mahogany Brown goes w/red - but may not be a favorable color for children.

C
Well, IP, you seem to hate blue and currently have an over abundance of red. My suggestion is that you would want to select a lighter color to soften the room.

What kind of red is it? A dull red or a bright, screaming, in your face red, or something in between? Also, descirbe the type of carpet you are using. Depth wise, is it similar to shag carpeting or something else?

Furniture wise, what do you want to put in the room? What are your tastes in colors for the furniture you plan to purchase for this room, if not already purchased? Would you be against a light neon green for one wall? How about a carribbean or tropical-ocean color blue?

Has suggestions but needs asking,
-_- Alex -_-
Honestly, Alex, I'm a conservative kind of gal. The carpet is a deep blood red, garnet almost, that is on the dark side, as opposed to a fire engine red. The pile is pretty thick, but quite shy of shag. His furniture is dark brown.

The bedrooms are used primarily for sleeping, reading and doing homework. The playroom is in the finished basement, and for ease of cleaning, we don't encourage toys upstairs. I'm looking for something that has a warm calming effect, rather than a bouce off the walls neon.

Thanks for the brain power!

IP
What about grey-either midrange or charcoal?
Or maybe an orange in the same intensity as the red?
If you wanted to stay with lighter colors (since the room is "rather small"), I think any beige-ish or taupe-ish color would look great too.

Good luck :)
RA
IP said: I'm a conservative kind of gal. The carpet is a deep blood red..the pile is pretty thick, but quite shy of shag. His furniture is dark brown

Oh, ok. Now I kind of know where to go. First of all, since it is a room that is going to be used for reading and studying, I'd suggest a ligt color to paint the walls. Having the carpet and the furniture in a dark color would make the room feel too sleepy, for my taste atleast, and make it hard to concentrate on studying. I would probably end up falling asleep :-D This is tough for me since I am into more of the modern look with each wall a diffrent color.

My suggestion is to paint the walls in a white with a slight hint of color to give the room a more relaxed feeling. Perhaps a white with just a dab of blue that is hardly noticeable or a hint of green?

This is dificult since this is not really the type of furniture that I am in to. Sorry.

-_- Alex -_-
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'd paint the walls a rich camel color with cream trim around the windows and doors. I love camel, cream and red.
kiki said I'd paint the walls a rich camel color with cream trim around the windows and doors

A wohoo type of color scheme.

-_- Alex -_-
No. of Recommendations: 1
No, I'm not looking to paint the carpet, but my son's rather small bedroom has a deep red carpet in it and red curtains. Currently the walls are white as is much of the house. I was thinking of putting a reddish brown on the walls, but not too deep a shade. Any other ideas? What goes with red?

Hopeless at this stuff.

IP

IP,

I've found three red colors from Behr that I assume matches the color of the carpeting. If you click this link --> http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/ and click on "Interior" on the left side and type in these three color #s separately maybe you'll find one of them closely resembles the color of the carpet:

200D-6 ("Mexican Chille")

200B-7 ("Fireglow")

S-G-200 ("Glowing Firelight")

I would guess it's probably closer to "Glowing Firelight" but I could be wrong. Anyway, no matter which one of these colors it is, I think that either of these two colors would work best on the wall (you can see these by typing in the color # same as the links above):

760A-3 ("Regal")

760A-2 ("Palatial")

Obviously one is lighter than the other and maybe that would be best, considering how dark the red is. Maybe you could do a ragging faux finish effect on one or two walls with the light and the darker color to give it a soothing appearance and to keep things cozy and relaxing.

~Colleen~