Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Paint:

"Maybe more important, at my job I feel like I'm part of something. I'm afraid that when I retire, I'd be bored out of my mind."

I echo the observation that if boredom in retirement concerns you, you might think about what you'd do when and if, and stay working until you get that thought out.

We both pretty much had to retire at age 61 or so for various reasons, one of which involved her mother's health, and I was laid off, so we had to start SS at 62 -- not ideal in terms of the payout, but it has worked out for over 15 years. We were married, so she took her SS based on my higher earnings, and gets about half of what I do.

She has no pension and what tiny one I have is all but negligible, so our SS income is most of it, plus a quarterly dividend she gets from some stock and occasional withdrawals from my IRA to help when needed.

Depending on living habits, housing and other costs, you CAN live on SS, pretty much. We do, even with some mortgage remaining, Medigap payments (supplement to Medicare), taxes, cars, etc. We live frugally, even though we usually eat lunch out (our bigger meal, usually, and lunches cost less). She's an excellent shopper, uses grocery coupons, etc. Thankfully, our health has remained fairly good.

It can be done. I wish you luck.

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.