Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Story in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-obamamideast10apr10,0,1780231,full.story

Excerpt:
Ali Abunimah, a Palestinian rights activist in Chicago who helps run Electronic Intifada… in a Times interview and on his website, said Obama seemed sympathetic to the Palestinian cause but more circumspect as he ran for the U.S. Senate in 2004. At a dinner gathering that year, Abunimah said, Obama greeted him warmly and said privately that he needed to speak cautiously about the Middle East.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
George Bush says he is a friend of the Palestinians.

What is wrong with being a friend of the Palestinians?

Dov
No. of Recommendations: 8
Dov, did you not read the quoted text?

It strongly implied that Obama makes public pro-Israel statements, then offers private assurances to Arab friends that he doesn't really mean it.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Story in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-obamamideast10apr...

Excerpt:
Ali Abunimah, a Palestinian rights activist in Chicago who helps run Electronic Intifada… in a Times interview and on his website, said Obama seemed sympathetic to the Palestinian cause but more circumspect as he ran for the U.S. Senate in 2004. At a dinner gathering that year, Abunimah said, Obama greeted him warmly and said privately that he needed to speak cautiously about the Middle East.

Dov, did you not read the quoted text?

It strongly implied that Obama makes public pro-Israel statements, then offers private assurances to Arab friends that he doesn't really mean it.

I did read it Steven, but I did not have the same interpretation of what it means that you did.

firstly I think everyone in public live needs to speak cautiously about the middle east. We have enough inflammatory speech from friends, enemies, internally, externally, you name it.

secondly someone has printed something that someone said about somebody. It was reported that Abunimah said that Obamah told him something in private and therefore .... what?

Is Obama being incautious? Is he speaking against Israel? How is he being two-faced, if that is what the claim is? specifically, how?

This is too much of a stretch for me Steven.

the middle east needs people who are friends to it, friends to the Israelis, friends to the Palestinians, friends to both. It is possible for a person to be both.

I hope your thread title is correct, because the Palestinians need hope. If they completely succumb to despair, anger and hatred, then Israel will not be secure and more wars and terrorism will happen.

Dov
No. of Recommendations: 3
As a counter weight, quoting from the same article:
"Even as he won support in Chicago's Palestinian community, Obama tried to forge ties with advocates for Israel.

In 2000, he submitted a policy paper to CityPAC, a pro-Israel political action committee, that among other things supported a unified Jerusalem as Israel's capital, a position far out of step from that of his Palestinian friends. The PAC concluded that Obama's position paper "suggests he is strongly pro-Israel on all of the major issues."

In 2002, as a rash of suicide bombings struck Israel, Obama sought out a Jewish colleague in the state Senate and asked whether he could sign onto a measure calling on Palestinian leaders to denounce violence. "He came to me and said, 'I want to have my name next to yours,' " said his former state Senate colleague Ira Silverstein, an observant Jew."

If you read the whole article with an open mind I think it's impossible to come to a black-or-white conclusion. Unfortunately most people read stuff in the context of their preconceived notions, and selectively find support for those.

GWB has been the strongest supporter, and most one sided, in favor of Israel of perhaps any US president. I don't think this has been good for Israel. It has weakened Israel's international standing along with America's, as both have been perceievd more than ever is tied at the hip. It has encouraged Israeli policies that hurt the prospects for peace and put real efforts to solve the conflict on the back burner.

Elan