No. of Recommendations: 1
Panera was a great stock for me, but they went private a few years back. Did they go public again if you are thinking about them as an investment? I wasn’t aware of that.
Print the post Back To Top
Food stocks could include restaurants, meat processing, food
distribution, grocery stores, as well as miscellaneous suppliers.

Some of the typical companies might include McCormicks, Nestles,
General Mills, Kellogg's, Smithfield, Heinz and on and on.
You can also get tie-ins to agri-chemicals, fertilizers, machinery (i.e.
John Deere and the like).

https://www.foodengineeringmag.com/2017-top-100-food-and-bev...

Howie52
Good hunting
Amazon
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think Hormel is one of the best run companies. They make Spam but seem to be in tune with new consumer demands. I also own McCormicks.

I have seen recent recommendations of General Mills. Kraft Heinz and Campbells soup seem to be in trouble. Ditto Conagra. Coke seems is seeing declines in the US making it more dependent on international sales. Pepsi has the same problem but is better diversified with snack foods.

Smithfield is the leader in pork, but was acquired by a Chinese company.

John Deere is a great company but seems is down these days due to low farm prices. Caterpillar sold its ag operations some years ago but tends to move in tandem with John Deere (probably implying investors buying and selling whole sectors). Caterpillar is a global leader, strong in construction, and will benefit from future water projects.
Thank you cery much for the responses.. i was looking for a niche company compared to Amazon, but thanks again! Love the link appreciate it!
Thank you very much the insight! This is was i was looking for, a deeper look especially across different markets. I have noticed the decline with coke, thanks again!!
I worked for Gen Mills back in the 1980 and stayed in touch with friends through 2005. They were very disciplined, organizationally, and focused on their core business. Their long term return and dividend is quite good as well.

I don't do individual stocks anymore. When I did, they were a large part of my portfolio.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Go to the library and look through Value Line.
One of the investment/trading advisors I use has suggested CAG is a good buy at these levels based on the following experience --

One of the evergreen strategies that works most of the time, but not all of the time, is to buy good companies when their stocks are decimated due to selling by the momo crowd after short term fundamental problems. More often than not, companies are able to fix these problems and stocks ultimately rise.

The advice comes from The Arora Report which I have found to be very accurate and mostly right about 85% of the time.
Buy low sell high investors may like CAG. Bottom fishers have many to look at. Campbells Soup and Kraft Heinz come to mind. But God only knows when or if they will recover. Processed foods is kind of like investing in buggy whips and hoping the owners figure it out.
I’ve been invested in Hershey’s a real long time so I have a low cost basis. I used to be in Con Agra, I think it was a spin off of Ralston-Purina, they had several spin offs, McDonald’s, I hold Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and Coca-Cola(low cost basis), forget the name of the company that does generic foods/private labels, that’s been good for me, Cracker Barrel...watch out for restaurants though, high costs for them.

Buy what you know and like after doing financial research on company. I like food so I knew that, at the time I bought these company’s, the cost was low and they paid dividends, still do in fact. Plus several had several stock splits over the years.

From foods, you can go down the line to food producers and processors and wholesalers, and then even to farm equipment and anything to do with crop management.

Ask yourself if company produces what you yourself like, need and use and how do they stack up to the competetion and do they manage their money and employees and customers well.

Btw, Coke is hanging in with the bottled water, they are not going down anytime soon....they will innovate and give what the customers want....that’s my hope. :)

Lucky Dog
Another point … Food stocks are a good diversification. Even if the economy slows or there is a recession, people still eat.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Food stocks are a good diversification. Even if the economy slows or there is a recession, people still eat.

Yes, we know that. Everyone knows that. So the share prices reflect it accordingly.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Food stocks are a good diversification. Even if the economy slows or there is a recession, people still eat...

...and smoke, drink, take out the garbage, go to the doctor, take pills, do their taxes, change their oil, wash their clothes, shave, brush their teeth, die, etc...
And use toilet paper and tissues and paper towels and drink lots and lots of coffee. :)

My latest buy...not stock but a bag of coffee was Death Wish Coffee......Smooth cup and a Wild Ride.

Dang, it’s good and too high dollar at Wegman’s for 12 oz. bag....$17.99. I’ll have to shop around. :)

Lucky Dog
My latest buy...not stock but a bag of coffee was Death Wish Coffee......Smooth cup and a Wild Ride.

Youngest got this for me for Christmas a few years ago. Very memorable. I love a good strong roast coffee but this one comes with way too much caffeine for me, since I drink coffee in volume. On the plus side, the days I had my 7 hour drives, all I needed was a sip or two if I needed an alert booster. I usually stay away from coffee when driving since it makes for too many bathroom stops, but the high caffeine meant much less liquid needed.

IP
My personal coffee limit for the past almost 20 yrs. is 3 mugs...and that’s a 20 oz. mug so 60 oz. and I drink it before noon, latest is 1 pm.

Before someone starts shrieking that I’m killing myself with coffee...My internist knows, my cardiologist knows....no problem....no racing heart or bulging eyes or running down errant drivers. :). It works for me and heck, I don’t drink or use drugs and my eating is clean as a whistle, so having a smooth cup of coffee is one of my daily joys.

Lucky Dog
Before someone starts shrieking that I’m killing myself with coffee...My internist knows, my cardiologist knows....no problem....no racing heart or bulging eyes or running down errant drivers. :). It works for me and heck, I don’t drink or use drugs and my eating is clean as a whistle, so having a smooth cup of coffee is one of my daily joys.

LOL. Relax. Coffee is considered a miracle health food these days. Of course tomorrow it could go back to being villainized.

IP,
listening to her own body when it comes to judging what's right, from skipping breakfast to skipping grains and sugar, drinking plenty of coffee, though not very high caffeine since that wreaked havoc
No. of Recommendations: 4
My personal coffee limit for the past almost 20 yrs. is 3 mugs...and that’s a 20 oz. mug so 60 oz. and I drink it before noon, latest is 1 pm.

Lucky Dog

--------------

LD - your earlier post about the price of Death Wish Coffee triggered my curse of a curious mind. My first stop was the DWC website where I learned you can buy direct from them at $75 / 5 lb and includes free shipping for orders over $50. Cheaper per oz than Wegmans.

The other thing I learned was they take pride in being the World's strongest coffee. That triggered the second leg of my curious mind. How strong is strong? I went through 4 or 5 websites to gather the information that follows.

Wikipedia tells me that DWC has 768 mg of caffeine per 12 oz serving. That sounds like a lot and it is. Other websites put the average cup in the 150 - 200 mg range per 12 oz. So that makes it about 4X the average.

Fun Fact - to be called de-caffeinated, at least 97% of the natural caffeine has to be removed. But I digress.

Finally your 60 oz daily consumption, if fulfilled with DWC, would deliver 3,840 mg of caffeine vs the recommended daily limit of 400mg. Even one 12 oz serving of DWC is almost twice the recommended limit. I see why they call it Death Wish. Enjoy <g>.
Mike, that must explain why I have completely organized my house and garage, cleaned it from top to bottom, both cars are sparkling inside and out and I’ve lost 50 pounds since my first taste of DWC on Sunday. ROFL!

Lucky Dog
Check out BGS, too.
I like Panera. I’ve been thinking of them lately as an always happy customer. First they made great food but they were crowded so they created an App where I can preorder my lunch, walk past the line, grab my bag and leave in 30 seconds. Then they added delivery. And touch pads so you can order while in line...effectively quadrupled their ability to sell amazing sandwiches and be the only restaurant my health nut friend will eat at...

I just see efficiency gains like mad.
I like Panera. I’ve been thinking of them lately as an always happy customer. First they made great food but they were crowded so they created an App where I can preorder my lunch, walk past the line, grab my bag and leave in 30 seconds. Then they added delivery. And touch pads so you can order while in line.

The Panera near us (the next town about 40 miles away) closed down. We wondered why, they were always full at lunchtime. Maybe they closed that store and opened a bigger one a block or two away?

Your tale of quick ordering is interesting. All those folks marching for $15/hr didn't realize that most of the jobs would be replaced by an app or an ordering kiosk.
Panera was a great stock for me, but they went private a few years back. Did they go public again if you are thinking about them as an investment? I wasn’t aware of that.
Hmmm

Shares of Panera Bread PNRA opened nearly 13.5% higher on Wednesday morning after the company announced that it has sold itself to JAB, a German conglomerate that owns Krispy Kreme, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Keurig Green Mountain, and a variety of other food and drink brands....

(I'm apparently about a year too late)