Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We're turning our unused wet bar to a pantry. I'm looking for ideas.

I'd love a bin for potatoes and onions, but I know you're not supposed to store them together. How far apart do they need to be? Could we store one low and one high? Or should they not be together in the same closet?

The area is pretty deep so the shelves could be very deep, or we could leave some space in front that would make them not so deep and give us some room for racks for lids, or a holder for broom, mop, etc.

Any things any of you wish you had built into a pantry, or features you have and love?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
My pantry is 5' x 9'. I have my upright freezer in there in one corner, and then I have wire shelves along the long wall. These are about 12" deep, and I use them for general pantry storage. Along the short wall opposite the freezer, DH built a unit that has 2 columns of 3 wire drawers each with the top drawers being smaller, and the bottom drawers being deep. I use these for soft goods such as chips, onions, potatoes, my canning supplies, candy supplies, etc. On top of that, DH built me a countertop that he covered with formica, and I use that for appliance storage such as my food processor, crock pot, rotisserie, etc. I also have shelves above the baskets for storage.

I like the wire shelves because all the dirt falls through to the floor, and I can vacuum easily. I also like the shelves being only 12" deep because I can see what I have, and I don't lose things in depth of the shelf.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I would love to have pull-out shelving so I could get to things in the back without moving a bunch of stuff around. A friend has an item that I can't figure out how to describe, but I love it. It's basically a pull-out drawer that stands vertically, about the same height as a fridge, and has five or six narrow shelves. Tremendous for retrieving tons of skinny stuff.

Do you really store enough potatoes and onions that bins are necessary? Maybe you use a lot of both, but in my pantry it would be the equivalent of naughty lingerie--there for the visual pleasure of a select number, but not really all that practical.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Three things I had in my last custom pantry that I'd have back.

Commercial wire shelving (mentioned above). Love the way the light travels through it. Shelves can be changed as needed.

Spice racks screwed to the back of the door for easy access and visibility (front of spices held in by thin Plexiglas).

Light wired to door so it goes on automaticaly when door is opened.

I miss my pantry!

Bill
I am luck I have a huge pantry but I don't keep my potato's and onion's
in there. I keep my potato's in a wooden bowl under my chopping block
and I keep my onions in a wooden bowl right beside the potato's.
I have never had a problem and they are so handy.

Blue
I meant to type "lucky" not luck....

This has happened twice to me today....my fingers aren't doing what
I think they are LOL

Blue
No. of Recommendations: 3
I am luck I have a huge pantry but I don't keep my potato's and onion's
in there. I keep my potato's in a wooden bowl under my chopping block
and I keep my onions in a wooden bowl right beside the potato's.
I have never had a problem and they are so handy.

Oh my word sliced thin on toast.

Here is a quick brush up on proper apostrophe usage.

potato's is either "belongs to the potato" OR "potato is".

The potato's skin was unusually bumpy.

The potato's too hot to handle.

potato's DOES NOT INDICATE more than one potato.

THANK YOU.

- T, tipping over easily today.
No. of Recommendations: 2
potato's DOES NOT INDICATE more than one potato.

A coworker asked me once how I had such bad spelling with a degree.

I said I majored in Math and Physics, so all I need to know was X, Y Z as well as some greek letters.

I tried to avoid classes with too many writing of the words.

Ford
Reads a lot though
Do you really store enough potatoes and onions that bins are necessary?

I typically buy them 3-5 pounds at a time.

I'd like to avoid having the bags sitting on the floor and figured it I could store them in something it might look nicer.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I am so sorry I offended you. I make lots of typing errors and stuff
just happens.

Blue (I know the proper thing to do and I hope you get another job other than grammar police)
No. of Recommendations: 1
We made a pantry along the wall of the laundry room, which is just 2 steps away from the kitchen, where a coat closet used to be. We love it, because it's very handy. The best thing is that we can accomodate the weirdly-shaped or cluttery things that otherwise don't fit anywhere very well.

Ours is 16" deep, and many of the shelves are pull-out wire ones, or wire baskets for the onions, garlic, potatoes, and the occasional ginger root. We use them up so fast that they are stored right next to each other, and we have never noticed a problem. Almost all of our materials were scrounged from another project, or free---my wire racks were scrounged from the hospital dumpster and cut down to size. We did have to buy some of the shelf slides. We made one of those can dispensers, in which you load the cans in the top, and they roll around towards the back and then out to the front, so the oldest one is always next to be used. It took a bit of experimentation to figure out the angles that wouldn't bang them up, but it's great to have.

The things that are nice for us is that we built it around those things that are useful to us but not typical for a store-bought organizer: the bread bin, the dog foor container, the extra oven racks, the compost bucket, the recycling container, the mop bucket....it's organized so well that we have a huge amount of stuff in there; before, it only held family games, a few coats and boots, and sports equipment.

My recommendation would be to really study how you and your family use your kitchen for a few days. Do you have art supplies or poster board for kid's projects that you have to stash? Lots of 2L bottles? Don't forget mundane things, like a hook for the fly swatter, dog leash, whatever. How often do you use certain items? Ours is designed to have the multiple-times-a-day items closest to the kitchen, and the less commonly used extra overn racks, etc. furthest away.

Good luck to you! I'll bet you won't regret it.