No. of Recommendations: 52
Apparently Trump thinks that being President is a part-time job. Yesterday at his meeting with the NY Times editors and reporters, when asked about potential conflicts of interest, he said "In theory, I could run my business perfectly and then run the country perfectly."

And, as far as potential conflicts go, there have already been a handful of actions that cause concern. Here are just a few recent examples:

1. When Trump met with the Japanese Prime Minister, Trump's children also attended the meeting. Now, totally coincidentally I'm sure, the Trump company (which is to be run by the Trump children) has been exploring real estate opportunities in Japan.

2. When Trump met last week with Nigel Farage, the UK Independence Party leader, Trump raised objections to planned off-shore wind farms. Now, it's well known that the wind farms would "ruin the view" from his golf course in Scotland. (Yesterday Trump actually said "I might have brought it up".)

3. When Argentine President Mauricio Macri called to congratulate Trump, he also spoke with Ivanka. Trump is working to build an office tower in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Reports are that Trump pressed Mr. Macri about the delays for required permit for the construction of the tower. (Note: Trump denies this.)

4. On 11/15 Trump met with his partners in Indian real estate developments. One of the developers, Sagar Chordia, confirmed that they discussed future projects (which would occur while Trump was President). Trump has already licensed his name to luxury towers in Pune and Mumbai.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Note that, according to the NY Times, yesterday Trump said that he "has no legal obligations to establish boundaries between his business empire and the White House", and he added that the Trump brand "...is certainly a hotter brand than it was before".

Hold on to your hats.

Christina
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.