No. of Recommendations: 1
Passau, I just looked at my photos, and I have several photos of the organ, the church setting, but I don't think we heard it play.

We were rained on as we spent our pre-stay in Amsterdam, but just kept on going... Our Granddaughter spent a semester of her college time in Amsterdam, but our timing was off. But she, her parents had some time together there. It became a great base for her to hop onto trains, see a lot of Europe while there. I think we injected the travel bug nicely!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
1. Backpacking trip:
For medical reasons this has never been an option for me but I would have loved to do one when I was younger.

2. Solo trip.
I just can't imagine traveling without my husband and I don't feel the need to do one.

3. Luxury trip
We have splurged on luxury hotels and to me having a balcony on a cruise is a luxury so I'd say we've one this one many times.

4. Romantic trip.
DH and I have been traveling for 47 years and to me all our trips are romantic! We are usually on a trip over our wedding anniversary. The anniversary that landed on a cruise was very special. :)

5. Road trip
This is where we excel! We love road trips!!!! We have never gone a year in our 47 years of marriage without at least one road trip. And to qualify for a road trip it meant we had to travel outside of our home state of California. Since he retired 12 years ago we do at least 2 - 3 road trips a year and travel for three months a year.

6. Cruise trip.
We didn't start cruising until 2010 but we've made up for it in the last 10 years. We have well over 100 sea days under our belt now. We have done a transpacific to the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand and a transatlantic to Northern Europe. We have another cruise already booked.

7. Off the grid trip.
If being somewhere where they don't have cell service counts then we're still doing this! We've done a lot of road trips that I think would cover this. Back in the late 1970's we went to Canyonlands National Park, Island in the Sky District and Capitol Reef National Park before the roads in the park were paved! What an adventure especially in Canyonlands. We drove to Alaska on the Alaska highway in 1992 so going though the Yukon should also qualify. We still go petroglyph hunting on 4x4 roads in our jeep in Utah all the time.

8. Last minute trip
We use to do this all the time on weekends when DH worked. We still will do local last minute trips but it's getting harder and harder to do a last minute RV trip because now you need reservations to go almost anywhere.

9. A trip that scares you.
We have done some ports on our cruises that have put us out of our comfort zone like Cartagena, Columbia, Corinto, Nicaragua and took a tour to Leon, and St. Petersburg, Russia.

Utahtea
No. of Recommendations: 2
1. Backpacking trip:
For medical reasons this has never been an option for me but I would have loved to do one when I was younger.

Same here.
Hmmm...
Whatever takes you out of your comfort zone - we say, go for it! Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is the most simple way to expand your horizons and broaden your perspective. And honestly, isn’t that why we love to travel in the first place?
I think that when I solo travel, I'm always pushing my comfort zone.

Thinking about this. It doesn't take much to put me out of my comfort zone. I'm considering a trip to Easter Island then Argentina for the total solar eclipse. The recommendations for typhoid, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis and polio vaccinations is making me nervous.
An article that isn't talking to me. I can see it relating to a certain set of people.

I've never had any interest in camping or backpacking (I think I've camped out 1 or 2 nights in my life and that was plenty).

And I don't have any interest in being stuck on a boat with thousands of people who invade various ports.

I prefer exploring various cities with whoever I'm traveling with in the off season when I don't have to deal with hoards of people.

My longest road trip was when 6 of us went to a wedding of a coworkers, that was about 8 hours. More than enough for me :) Maybe once I retire driving won't bother me as much.

Anyhow, do what you enjoy.
Rich
No. of Recommendations: 4
OK- I'll play

1. Backpacking trip.
Most of my trips under age 25. Can I count cross country hitchhiking with a backpack?

2. Solo trip.
Many several - Amsterdam, Berlin, Nijmegen, Monaco, Aberdeen... off the top of my head.

3. Luxury trip.
No

4. Romantic trip.
In the 80s/ early 90s

5. Road trip.
So many-
highlight -
4 month road trip from Denver to South Florida - via Yellowstone/Calgary/ the Great Lakes.

6. Cruise trip.
A few. Used to live in S Florida and take 3-5 day "off season" 2-for-1 cruises.

7. Off the grid trip.
Aforementioned road trip.
Spent a couple summers living in a tent in Tennessee (pre-cell-phones)

8. Last minute trip.
Yes - especially when staying in EU... last minute solo trips.

Probably -
(copying this response: I think that when I solo travel, I'm always pushing my comfort zone.)

peace & trips
t
richnaz: An article that isn't talking to me. I can see it relating to a certain set of people.

I've never had any interest in camping or backpacking (I think I've camped out 1 or 2 nights in my life and that was plenty).

I got all of the "camping out"/living in tents I want from my stint in the Army.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 5
OK- I'll play, too

1. Backpacking trip.
Never have, couldn't afford it when young, not so interested today..

2. Solo trip.
Many later for business, but the first was at 18, off to Chicago on my own, for DeVry Tech Institute, a kickstarter nudge to get started since I had blown off college, couldn't really afford it, really stretched my parents, my part-time helper job in a machine shop just wasn't kicking in enough there, so I bailed.. later, many, too many days, weeks, months in motels, hotels on jobs or training all over the country, and overseas.

3. Luxury trip.
Of course! Biggest recent one was the Viking Midnight Sun run, but while others, Viking River runs were close seconds, others we've gone on our own, plan ahead as we can.. First one, 1979 to Greece! All fun, interesting, challenging..

4. Romantic trip.
Probably that first trip to Greece, a week on land, the send week on a small ship.. Ancient Greece trip.. Need to digitize this slides!

5. Road trip.
Many, many hotels, motels, tent cabins, camping, trailer trips all over the West, Southwest, Northwest, Canada... Better and better!

6. Cruise trip.
Yes, a few.. Tahiti, Hawaii, Fiji, Greece, Australia, Norway, Scotland, Amsterdam-Budapest, St Petersburg-Moscow, all great trips, can't afford every year, so we skip as needed, go camping instead..

7. Off the grid trip.
With our camping, some of it is dry-camping, took a bit to get a decent trailer to get by OK. Older times, some of us guys would go off to play out in the Nevada desert, beer, motorcycles, food for the week, what could go wrong?

8. Last minute trip.
From home, sure, a quick run to the coast for a hike, chowder, crab sandwiches... Lately its been off to a memorial service for old friends, family..

The one that did initially make me nervous was the St Pete-Moscow one, no idea what the entry, exit would be like, and, yes, it was as bad as expected, even with the right paperwork, a semi-mad-confusion, on our own.. In the end, glad we did it, many beautiful memories, great guides, etc.. Never would do it on my own, unless I at least could read, speak the language..

For me, us (married since '62), it' is surprising when we stop to look back at what we have managed to do, since we started out at zero, getting by on old used cars, renting little places, ... All is well.. Doing things, going places our parents never even dreamed of.. Hope to continue while we still can! Keep on moving'!

weco
wecoguy: 3. Luxury trip.
Of course! Biggest recent one was the Viking Midnight Sun run, but while others, Viking River runs were close seconds, others we've gone on our own, plan ahead as we can.. First one, 1979 to Greece! All fun, interesting, challenging..

Which river cruise? We took the Budapest to Passau trip. Enjoyed it, but with reservations. Felt rushed, like any tour. Not enough time/events in Vienna. The ship only moved at night when we were asleep. (Would like to see the scenery.) Food was excellent and plentiful. We were sick (flu?) at the end.

CNC
... I know, I know, they try to give you a lot of experiences.
Rich admits And I don't have any interest in being stuck on a boat with thousands of people who invade various ports.

I hear ya! Before doing the one cruise so far, I very much felt the same way.

Saying yes to go, definitely got me out of my comfort zone. I went just to travel with some friends.
The ship did not feel crowded. The only crowds were during boarding and anti boarding.
I found the library, and read two of their books.
I don't drink much, nor gamble.
I wandered around when I wanted, relaxed when I wanted, etc. Overall I was very SURPRISED. I came home more relaxed than after a "normal" trip.

🙂
ralph
Saying yes to go, definitely got me out of my comfort zone. I went just to travel with some friends.
The ship did not feel crowded. The only crowds were during boarding and anti boarding.
I found the library, and read two of their books.
I don't drink much, nor gamble.
I wandered around when I wanted, relaxed when I wanted, etc. Overall I was very SURPRISED. I came home more relaxed than after a "normal" trip.

I haven't been on one of the new mega-ships. But the "normal" cruise ships I have been on a few times, and it's as you said. I like cruising. The only down-side is that sometimes one feels rushed in a port. Often you have to pick one activity and do it. Of course, that can serve as a preview of a port to determine if you want to go back and spend more time.

As for the rest:
1. Backpacking trip.
I haven't really done that. When I was in Boy Scouts we hiked a short distance, and made camp. It wasn't a drive-up campsite, but I'd hesitate to call that "backpacking". Doing part of the Appalachian Trail is backpacking. I haven't done that.

2. Solo trip.
First time I went overseas (e.g. not Canada or Mexico), it was Kaohsiung. I was alone (though on business, so not entirely alone a lot of the time as I had to go to work, and my host took me on an outing with his family). Most evenings I was on my own. Most weekends also. It was disorienting not being able to read any of the signs, TV was useless (it was in Chinese with Chinese subtitles...I'm not kidding). That is where I met 1poorlady, and we would hang out after work the last two weeks (or so) that I was there.

3. Luxury trip.
Not sure what this means. I wouldn't say I've done this. "First class" transport, expensive hotels, private tours? Nope.

4. Romantic trip.
Not sure what this means either. Traveling as a couple? Yeah, several times. A trip where a string quartet follows us everywhere? No.

5. Road trip.
Oh yeah. Lots of them. Yellowstone, Yosemite, Durango, L.A., S.F., Vegas, San Diego, Grand Canyon, Utah. We've been all over the west/southwest.

6. Cruise trip.
Alaska. Everyone should do that once. It's difficult to get into some areas except by ship. We also did the Mediterranean, from Barcelona to Turkey. Great trip. Want to revisit some places and spend more time there.

7. Off the grid trip.
This is also the answer to 8. Our company had a "shutdown" wherein they required us to take unpaid vacation. That was in lieu of a layoff, so most people were happy to do it. We only had a couple weeks' notice. We packed up the Jeep and drove to Great Basin NP (we had just heard about it from a coworker). We camped most nights, only staying in a motel maybe 3 nights in two weeks so we could shower and recharge batteries (cameras, mostly). We camped in Great Basin, Cedar Breaks, and North Rim (Grand Canyon). This was 20 years ago, now, so cellphone coverage was spotty in metro areas. Out here, nuthin'. Much of our food we cooked over a fire.

8. Last minute trip.
See 7.

Two come to mind. First was my first trip to Asia (Kaohsiung, described above). Definitely out of my comfort zone at that time. The second was my first trip to visit 1poorlady after she returned to the Philippines. I had no idea what to expect (e.g. would my future MIL chase me down the street wielding a machete?). After I landed and was brought into the city, it was like nothing I had seen before. And I stood out as an average height white guy in a crowd of people shorter than me and darker than me. Areas of poverty that you only see in ads for UNICEF or something.
No. of Recommendations: 0
2. Solo trip.
I've solo traveled lots in Mexico. It has its pros and cons. I am considering a solo cruise, as I want to see Iceland.

Recently, Iceland has had way too many tourists. On our National Geographic cruise, I ask other passengers about their recommendations and experiences with previous cruises. The one they didn't recommend was Iceland.

I would like to go back to Iceland. We were their in winter for the eclipse and northern lights which was great. It would be nice to go back and see what was under the snow. Also, to walk through the glacier.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/destinations/has-iceland-...
No. of Recommendations: 6
OK, so I'm currently taking a self-driving road trip through South Africa (we are in Knysna today) after having gotten to the country by means of a one-month cruise from Dubai. I'm guessing driving through mountain passes on "the wrong side of the road" might classify as scary?

So, I guess (figuring I am with my wife), this classifies as 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 all in one trip? :-)

Jeff
Which river cruise? We took the Budapest to Passau trip. Enjoyed it, but with reservations. Felt rushed, like any tour. Not enough time/events in Vienna. The ship only moved at night when we were asleep. (Would like to see the scenery.) Food was excellent and plentiful. We were sick (flu?) at the end.

The first one was Russia in 2012, St Petersburg to Moscow... Beautiful scenery, and because a lot of the time we were so far North, the daylight time was a lot longer... The guide we had almost for all our excursions, Tatiana, was a great lady, maybe mid-40s, she taught English in St Pete if not out on cruises. Really knew her country's history, and gladly shared her views of what was, and what it was at the time. Open to any topic, even her personal life, well, maybe because I was crazy enough to bug her a but, but really a special lady. Divorced, had a son working in Alaska, was the first woman to show up in the ritual Saturday, work on your car in the storage units, and show she could handle it to the other guys doing the same. On the tours, really knew it all. There were times we were off with other local guides, but the bulk Tatiana or one of the other guides did a great job. I joked that we should have adopted her, but obviously not in the cards. Some were adventurous enough to go off on their own, but without a clue as far as signage, no english at all, it was beyond my comfort zone too far. Met some great fellow passengers, but like many trips, its a short term friendship.. Yes, some days were strenuous but we did fine, great food, relaxed tripping...

Next one up was in 2014, Amsterdam to Budapest, the Grand European, it also was a great trip, great main guide (name has slipped away, tho), lots more local guides, lots of walking, climbing in and around castles, towns, villages, even more strenuous, I felt, but it was good for us, again the same great food, service, people... We did an extra day or two before the trip in Amsterdam, checking out various sights, museums, local boat tours, lotsa fun, then a cab to the boat...

I took a ton of photos on both of these trips, as I do on most, great reminders, altho our kids say we don't take enough of us, so we try from time to time to do that, one way or another..

Overall, we've been very happy with the Viking setups, still deciding where we might go next... Maybe on our own again.. Hard to tel..

Main thing for us is to get out there while we are still mobile, building memories, staying active... We follow a Viking cruise Group on Facebook, see a lot of complainers, not everything always goes smooth, but Viking seems to me to be very receptive to solutions f it's discussed.. We haven't had any issues in all our dealings..

Some of our desires are learning history, seeking out art museums, as well as all the great museums we can get to in our travels. Not many of our friends do that, so we like to go on our own, set our own pace.. But we signed in on a lot of the extra tours on all these cruises, fill up the day, relax later...

weco
No. of Recommendations: 0
wecoguy: Next one up was in 2014, Amsterdam to Budapest, the Grand European, it also was a great trip, great main guide (name has slipped away, tho), lots more local guides, lots of walking, climbing in and around castles, towns, villages, even more strenuous, I felt, but it was good for us, again the same great food, service, people... We did an extra day or two before the trip in Amsterdam, checking out various sights, museums, local boat tours, lotsa fun, then a cab to the boat...

We took the three day pre-trip stay in Budapest and the post-trip stay in Prague. Both were valuable extensions to us,

Did you get to hear an organ concert in Passau? (I'm pretty sure your trip would have made a stop there.) Magnificent organ, but the selection chosen was too modern for my archaic taste.

CNC
SOUTH AMERICA!!!
My favorite trip was one of ours to SOUTH AMERICA..a SMITHSONIAN TRIP.
We flew to Buenos Aires,ARGENTINA, a fascinating City, with some extra days, pre Trip.Then we flew to southern most City on the Continent..where we started our GROUP trip...After dinner and night or two, we boarded a small ship for a few INTERESTING DAYS....then landed on west coast of the Continent..CHILE...great scenery..and up by plane and bus to Santiago..had tour of interesting City..etc..and flight home.STJ
Passau, I just looked at my photos, and I have several photos of the organ, the church setting, but I don't think we heard it play.

We were rained on as we spent our pre-stay in Amsterdam, but just kept on going... Our Granddaughter spent a semester of her college time in Amsterdam, but our timing was off. But she, her parents had some time together there. It became a great base for her to hop onto trains, see a lot of Europe while there. I think we injected the travel bug nicely!