Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A little off topic...

Can someone let me know how I would go about obtaining a passport? How long do I have to wait to receive it after submitting the pertinent information? I'm going to Toronto this weekend and can't find my birth certificate.

Thanks,
Dodgeball
Print the post Back To Top
Can someone let me know how I would go about obtaining a passport? How long do I have to wait to receive it after submitting the pertinent information? I'm going to Toronto this weekend and can't find my birth certificate.

JABoa can probably confirm or deny this but doesn't a voter registration card suffice for Canada ?

If you don't have the birth certificate, you can't get a passport. Have you contacted your birth location to see if you can get a birth certificate overnighted to you ?

Jacki
Forget about getting a passport in less than 30 days. And Jacki's right, you have to have your birth certificate for that.

I don't know about the voter registration card, but give the state of your birth a call and see about getting one overnighted, or if you live there, go to a local office. You might be able to get one on the spot if you handle the situation right.

Good luck, and whatever you do, don't tell Canadian Customs that you are going there to do work for somebody. They'll give you all kinds of grief.

They don't like Americans taking their jobs, NAFTA or no NAFTA.

MJ
(been there, done that)
You want to bring along as much evidence of citizenship as you can muster, just in case. Passport is best, birth certificate is second best, driver's licence with photo ID is third best.

Canada Customs & Immigration are generally stricter at airports than they are at bridge or road crossings. But mostly they just want to get you through.

In emergency situations you can get a passport quite quickly, but I doubt that wanting to go to Toronto on Friday constitutes an emergency.

By the way, if you are flying in and out of Toronto, you want to arrive at Pearson Airport an hour and a half before the plane is to leave. U.S. Customs & Immigration is on the premises, and they want you to clear customs an hour before departure so that your bags can be loaded.
Actually, I'm taking the train. Going to see my beloved Red Wings play the Maple Leafs. I booked the trip through a travel agency. A buddy of mine says I should not have a problem as long as I have my driver's license. Someone else says that they are much more strict now and may require a birth certificate. I guess I'll have to call the travel agency tomorrow.

Dodgeball

Depending on the situation, you can get a passport the same day, but you will have to got to one of the Passport Agencies. You usally will have to make an appointment.

See: http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html#easy12

You will still need a birth certificate to get a passport though.

One other tip of advice when you are traveling overseas with a passport. Make a photocopy of your passport with the number and your picture and carry is somewhere seperate from your passport. It makes things a lot easier if your passport is lost or stolen overseas. Make sure your report a lost or stolen passport to the nearest US embassy or consulate.

Lenny,
Misawa, Japan
Here is a web site with tips for Travelers to Canada.

http://travel.state.gov/tips_canada.html

Look under general and it says a driver's license or Social Security card is not valid proof of citizenship.

Do your parents have a copy of your birth certificate that they could fax you. All you need is a copy.

We have always carried our birth certificates when we cross the border by car and have never had to show it going either directions, but I sure wouldn't want to risk going there without it. You never know when you will be the one. This summer going into Canada they searched our motorhome from top to bottom.

Utahtea
A little off topic...

I can't imagine WHAT would be off topic here!

Andrea(got my last passport in 1969; can't help ya)
I can't imagine WHAT would be off topic here!

How about the fact that tomorrow is Founder's Day on the HH&R board.

Raggmopp
How about the fact that tomorrow is Founder's Day on the HH&R board.

Hmmmm, sounds fishy to me.

Andrea
Something else to think about... I've always found it to be more difficult to get back into the States than getting into foreign countries. Before you leave, make sure you have enough proof to convince US Immigration that you are a citizen and not a Canadian trying to sneak in.

Perhaps this is because of my looks. I'm an international American mut with Asian, European, and Mexican blood, so I'm often mistaken for all sorts of nationalities ranging from Basque, American Indian, India Indian, Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Somoan, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Phillipino, and on and on. Pretty much any nationality with dark hair and tan skin thinks I'm one of theirs.

Because of these problems, I've always brought my passport, even if only going to Canada or Baja.

Andrea(got my last passport in 1969; can't help ya)

1969? I suppose she gotta ticket to ride with that passport.

And since she hasn't needed another passport...

What a long strange trip it's been...
I found my birth certificate. I called my mom and told her the following: "I seem to remember seeing my birth certificate in the grey file box with all the pictures inside". Sure enough, that's where it was. The best part of the story is that the last time I looked in this file box was at least 3 years ago. Quite a memory eh?

Dodgeball
Well, that should do it. I'm a U.S. citizen but Canadian by birth, and I can't remember ever being asked for identification when entering Canada in 25 years. It's going back that is occasionally a problem. One time I had to hang around for 20 minutes in Lewiston NY because the INS thought my Green Card (it was blue then, now they're pink) was sort of wrinkly.

If you like beer, Upper Canada Lager is pretty good.
JABoa:

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitley try the beer.

Dodgeball
I found my birth certificate. I called my mom and told her the following: "I seem to remember seeing my birth certificate in the grey file box with all the pictures inside". Sure enough, that's where it was. The best part of the story is that the last time I looked in this file box was at least 3 years ago. Quite a memory eh?

Dodgeball,

Now don't you feel silly for not asking Mom in the first place? Mom know everything! ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Mom know everything! ; )

Well conjugate my verbs. So what verb tense is that Tony? Present past?

Disney Dan
Well conjugate my verbs. So what verb tense is that Tony? Present past?

Dunno, Dan....but that's not the only thing that's getting tense around here!

And If I were camping, I'd probably use 2 tense.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
And If I were camping, I'd probably use 2 tense.

Tony

if you were camping ?

ROFL !!!!!!

Jacki

if you were camping ?

ROFL !!!!!!

Jacki

Hey, I'll go camping.

...as long as there's room service.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
What do you call midget Boy Scouts?

"Small, but intense"

AndysGirl
>so grateful to be able to share that with people who can appreciate it<
Hey, I'll go camping.
...as long as there's room service.

Spoken like a true Raggmoppian Outdoorsman.

Raggmopp

1969? I suppose she gotta ticket to ride with that passport.

And since she hasn't needed another passport...

What a long strange trip it's been...

At last! Someone else who remembers the '60s!

Andrea