Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A friend of the family, Ted, received a number of past due tax notices for a number of years. He was a self-employed house painter. He is now disabled at age 50, living in a nursing home, with brain damage as well as bodily problems. He will never work again nor get out of the home. I believe some of the tax years he is being billed for he never even filed tax returns for. His elderly mother knows nothing and is upset about what to do so I'm trying to do some homework on the matter.

He will never pay these taxes, never earn another dime to do so. His mother cannot pay them nor even pay a tax attorney.

As far as I can guess, there are two issues:
1. These amounts are probably not even correct. We don't know where they came up with the amounts since he didn't even file for some of the years, and two of the years he did file tax returns, the amounts due on the return are very much lower than the amounts on the bills.

2. He won't be able to pay any amounts anyway, being permanently disabled.

If anyone can point us in a direction, that would be great.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.