Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
When these playoffs are over I think we will learn that there is something really wrong with Pastrnak's right hand. He is playing like it is shot up with numbing 'stuff' before each game, or has nerve damage. He still has positioning and the ability to move the puck, but he just has no feel for stickhandling moves. Taking him off the powerplay looks necessary.

Weird game. Glad Boston won it, but … you can't keep giving up 40 shots. Rask has erased any past uncertainty of his ability to perform post season.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was thinking the same thing, that we will find out something is wrong with Pastrnak. Constantly fanning on shots and turning over the puck. Frankly, I was thinking more serious than a hand injury. Something in his nervous system making him "dizzy" or just off a bit in his coordination. But I suppose if that was it, he wouldn't be playing at all.
Absolutely on both points, Rask and Pasta. Pasta looks forlorn out there, beyond lost. Rask was the fortress under attack last night. I think Bergy is banged up as well.

Their defense, especially in the 2nd period, looks like the 1969 California Seals against the 77 Canadiens - standing around, stationery, waving sticks, motionless. It's really distressing.

Their powerplay is so ineffective against CBJ's active defense PK - very impressive - they had the 2nd (or 3rd??) unit out there on the PP! How many SH opportunities did they cough up?!

CBJ is quickly turning into a big, bad force. Without Rask, and if CBJ had a little more offensive skill, they're down 3-1 coming back to Boston with their heads in their hands. If - IF - they squeak this one out, it'll be on Tuuka's back.
Pastrnak is hardly the only Bruin committing too many turnovers. Poor puck management has been the team's biggest problem for our present head coach's entire tenure here. Our goalies have done very well despite having to face more shots than the opposition net minder in game after game after game but get almost always get blamed for things the skaters SHOULD catch flak for. Better puck management, as I have said more than once on Facebook would improve both our offense and our defense. How much longer should we wait before replacing the HC? Who should replace said HC if we do fire him?
The coach is fine. And puck handling problems are mostly in the post season this year.
Poor puck management has been the team's biggest problem for our present head coach's entire tenure here.

Not so.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/team-stats?season=2018&tim...

Regular season the Bruins were 3rd best in goals allowed (and of course GA/gm). That was in part driven by the Bruins being 5th best in shots differential (more taken than allowed) and tied for 6th in puck handling (takeaway / giveaway). Last year (17-18) they were 4th, 2nd, and tied for 7th in the respective stats.

Cassidy has done a very good job of defense first and control.

In these playoffs, the Bruins have faced a top team in terms of shots generated (Toronto) and in terms of puck handling (takeaway / giveaway) - Columbus. This gets ratcheted up in this coming round, as Carolina is the top team in terms of shots generated and on par with Columbus in puck handling. Carolina has 3 guys with better +/- than Bergeron (Boston's top) in Pesce, Teravainen, and Aho.
Puck management still poor even if it is slightly better than in recent years. Maybe Bruins fans have become too used to it. We still need more Bergeron caliber puck-handlers. Our top line is the only Cup caliber line we've got, IMO.
Maybe Bruins fans have become too used to it.

Puck management? Again, the Bruins are good at this and long have been. The stats are what they are. It is hard for fans to see this without a bias. The other team turns the puck over, it is because the Bruins are good (not the other team is bad), the Bruins turn it over, it is because they are bad (not the other team is good). The other team matters -- a lot. Hockey is a fast difficult game and miscues are frequent because of it. If you can only see the Bruins mistakes, you are not seeing the whole game.

Our top line is the only Cup caliber line we've got, IMO.

Another fan fallacy is to only look to offense. Talk radio here in Boston suffers from it, where all season they lamented the lack of scoring (Bruins were middling) and failed to notice the exceptional defense. Even the goaltending was questioned all season long, despite being excellent, all season long (yes, with some off games, like all teams have). The Kuraly, Nordstrom, Wagner line does not score a lot, but often plays opposite the other teams top line(s) and shuts them down well. The +/- numbers for these guys needs to be viewed in the context of who they are on the ice with, and when you do that it is impressive. A shut down fourth line is huge in the NHL, and the Bruins have one. In particular look at Kuraly's ability to get a turnover and 'puck handle' his way out of the defensive zone. His return in the Toronto series was a big factor in reducing / turning their zone time dominance from early in the series.

And …. did you fail to see the year Krecji had and is continuing to have. Posting 73 points with a wide assortment of different wingers throughout the season has been exceptional. Or the emergence of Debrusk as a scorer (regular season anyway)? They have 5 of 6 'top 6 forwards that are 'cup caliper' in my opinion, but …. so do other teams (Heinen doesn't impress in my opinion). There is a ton of quality talent in the league right now. Coyle has turned the 3rd line into enough of a threat that it can't be ignored, and … that has made the difference in a quite few games this post season.

Get ready to continue to be frustrated. Carolina is not your typical 'just made the playoffs' team. They were just 5 points off the division lead. Aho and Teravainen are top 6 forwards on any team. Williams is still very very good. Pesce is an exceptional defender. I am encouraged in that the teams the Bruins beat to get to Carolina were good 'tests' for the type of game Carolina plays i.e. Toronto with the constant offensive assault and Columbus with the hard hitting possession game.
Having checked the final regular season standings since mY last post I'm now thinking the Bruins skaters played better after my TV went out-of-order than they did before so they have a better chance of winning the Cup this year than I previously thought they did. Especially if Rask gets hot. Not sure they deserve to be betting favorites but that doesn't matter much. They are my team whatever the oddsmakers say about them.

GO BOSTON!!!