Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Patience is a very difficult thing for me. I've gotten much better as I've gotten older and realize most of my mistakes, mental or physical, occurred when I was in too much of a hurry (e.g., running up the steps, driving impatiently, etc.) so I'm better now.

Like you, but for different reasons, I'm kicking myself a little bit since before the virus hit I thought the market had risen too much and wanted to take some profits. Part of it was due to the sizable tax hit I would have taken on some long held stocks (notably Apple) but paying taxes is better than losing money (I'm still way in the green on them).

I don't know the actual numbers but I'm probably only down about 10% although it feels much worse.

I've found that if I trim back a stock after it rises too far and buy back when it gets taken down due to the market overall falling (such as in late 2018) I can meet/exceed SP500 returns by a bit while keeping a good 20%+ in cash. I don't usually do a lot of detailed accounting but for a job I had to report financial assets for 7 years and every year was fortunate to exceed the SP500.

You can't change the past, only the future.
Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.