Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
PatrickDW, in a follow-on question, asks:

I have two IRAs that I have converted to Roths this year. I wish to tranfer both Roth IRAs to a new trustee (a brokerage), AND contribute $2,000 for 1998 to a Roth with the new trustee. I am 31 years old, so I'm not concerned with the 5 year rule. May I combine the old Roth IRAs into one account, and may I add 1998's contribution to the same account?

Yes, you can. Be advised, though, that the broker may resist this due to prior guidance put out by the IRS based on proposed changes to Roth law that were never enacted. That guidance strongly advised conversion and contributory Roths be kept separate. Recent law prescribing the order of withdrawals for Roth IRA money eliminated any need to follow that guidance. However, that news may not have been acted on at most Roth providers yet, so expect some resistance. Just be persistent, and you should win out.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.