Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
New England Patriots rookie wide receiver N'Keal Harry, the 32nd overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, is now under contract.

The Patriots and Harry agreed to terms on a four-year contract worth $10.1 million with a $5.3 million signing bonus, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, via a source informed of the situation.

I know this is how it works but....committing $15m to the guy. Wow. Crazy how a guy who has never played an NFL snap gets $5.3M for the work he did in college. Who says college players don't get paid. ;)

Okay, I know. It's how probably 32-64 of them get paid and it by no means is enough all around but it's still a lot of money for zero experience.

Simon

PS: Is anyone else following the off-season? Not seeing much here.
Print the post Back To Top
Is anyone else following the off-season? Not seeing much here.

I'm following my Cowboys, but I just don't see much to talk about yet. I surely don't know how well the draft picks and personnel moves will work out.
No. of Recommendations: 2

I am. Here are a few ... lights:
- Doug Baldwin and Kam Chancellor were released by Seattle, and both are expected to retire for injury reasons. They've added D-line depth (Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods). Here's a little highlight reel on Kam: http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/31024/th...
- Patrick Peterson got suspended today for the first 6 games of the 2019 regular season(PEDs). http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26761850/sources-cardinal... I found it funny that someone said, "they can't win without Peterson." They can't win with him, either.
- Tampa hired Bruce Arians as their new coach. That's a pretty big thing, even if he's a Class I a-hole.
- Foles to Jacksonville is kind of a big deal, but Jacksonville very much isn't, so nevermind.
- Teams on the rise: Jets (LeVeon Bell, CJ Mosley), Raiders (buncha draft picks), and Browns (OBJ). It'll be exciting to see whether the Jets can rise above Miami for the right to say they're sort of technically almost as good as New England. KC also made some big moves, though I think they way overpaid for Frank Clark and Tyrann Mathieu. Then again, a SB win 9 months from now, striking while the iron is hot for Reid and Mahomes, could stop any such questions.
- https://www.xfl.com/ (heads up LA, St. Louis, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, NYC, Tampa, and DC)
- It's all about Trevor vs. Tua in college football, apparently. I'm just hoping UW can repeat in the Pac-12 (and that the conference doesn't suck wind so hard again), which would mean that Jacob Eason hasn't forgotten how to be a quarterback, and has someone to throw to. The Husky D is pret-ty deep, so that's not a concern. My prediction, though, is that they fall off a bit and someone from the south half finally wins.

-n8
- Doug Baldwin and Kam Chancellor were released by Seattle, and both are expected to retire for injury reasons.

Baldwin announced his retirement in the form of a letter to his younger self which he tweeted. Interestingly, he gave shout outs to Tavaris Jackson and Darrell Bevel but not to Russell Wilson or Pete Caroll.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/doug-baldwin-pe...
No. of Recommendations: 1

Between the end of the season and the first preseason game, I have a slight interest in the draft. Otherwise, I have better things to do with my time.

PSU

Yes, I'm watching; usually the off-season is the only time anything interesting happens if you're a Browns fan.

This year feels different, though. OBJ gets all the headlines but the Browns also added Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson to the D-line alongside Myles Garrett. They added Kareem Hunt on offense and executed an uncharacteristically strong draft. The Browns might be - dare I say it? Good.

But they have a tough schedule. They have to stay healthy (I'm looking at you OBJ) and they have to prove they can beat the Steelers and Ravens which is still a tall order. So it's just cautious optimism at this point.

In Pittsburgh, the Steelers are still formidable in spite of maybe taking a step backwards personnel-wise. Ben is not getting any younger or fleeter-of-foot. In Baltimore, will the Lamar Jackson experiment work? The timing is right for the Browns to become relevant, we'll see if they can actually pull it off.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am. Here are a few ... lights:
- Doug Baldwin and Kam Chancellor were released by Seattle, and both are expected to retire for injury reasons.

N8, I'm curious what the sentiment is in Seattle. From the outside, it looks like a lot of changes other than Russel Wilson. They've parted ways with a lot of former stars, do you feel they've replaced them?

In Tampa, Bruce Ariens is a good offensive coach but Tampa had good offensive numbers last year and it didn't do them a lot of good.

Agree about Jacksonville - on paper they should compete for the division but they love to underachieve.

Not sure what to say about the Jets or Raiders. Both look like dumpsters full of flammables looking for a spark to me but I'm probably being too harsh.

Curious if KC can repeat their success with a modified roster.

Curious how Big Ben and Tom Brady age another year.
No. of Recommendations: 3
N8, I'm curious what the sentiment is in Seattle. From the outside, it looks like a lot of changes other than Russel Wilson. They've parted ways with a lot of former stars, do you feel they've replaced them?

Not Nate, but I'll chime in. Sherman, Chancellor, and Earl Thomas, all on the same team at the same time was like catching lightning in a bottle. IMO, Earl Thomas especially was (maybe still is) a one in a generation player. Those guys have not been replaced and probably can't be. But, secondary seems to be decent. Not great, but good enough. Overall, Seattle has bet towards letting a veteran player go too soon, rather than over paying him in his declining years. That seems to be working thus far, but Thomas and Sherman still could have some great seasons ahead of them, albeit at high prices. I personally would have signed Thomas at any price, even with his injury, but that's me.

LBs: I've long felt Bobby Wagner was hugely underrated, and it is great to see that he's finally being recognized. I was a little surprised they re-signed K.J. Wright for the "not overpaying" philosophy I mentioned above, but I love K.J. Wright. The guy has football smarts in spades. Very glad to see him back. Mychal Kendricks seems to be a productive fit, assuming he can come back from his legal troubles.

DL: Losing Frank Clark was a blow, but he got an amazing pay day (worth it IMO, and the Hawks probably could not have afforded him), and the Seahawks have had good success finding journeyman DL players who are productive, and that's the pattern they followed this off season.

OL: Kind of a horror show, as always. Part of the problem, IMO, is that Wilson likes to step back in the pocket, which causes the pocket to collapse. Last season he did a better job stepping up in the pocket, which made the OL look better. We'll see. Still a question mark here.

WR/TEs. I've long felt the Seahawks WRs were underrated. Losing Baldwin was a blow, but they have some depth at this position. Last year, Will Dissly was a surprising breakout at TE until injury ended his season, and there's some depth at TE as well.

Special Teams: Signed pro-bowl kicker Jason Myers, which ended the horror show for the last two seasons at this position, and have the best punter in the league. So ST looks solid.

TL;DR The Legion of Boom is gone and it isn't coming back. There is reason for cautious optimism for the D-line. The O-line can't get much worse. The WR/TEs will probably be pretty good. Special teams will probably be better than last year.
No. of Recommendations: 3
[combo-reply]
I'm curious what the sentiment is in Seattle. From the outside, it looks like a lot of changes other than Russel Wilson. They've parted ways with a lot of former stars, do you feel they've replaced them?

Not a lot of gnashing of teeth around the water cooler... solid draft I think. DK Metcalf is supposed to be the real deal, and I think a new slot/underneath receiver with good hands will emerge to fill Baldwin's role, but that because that person won't have Baldwin's skills or the trust of Wilson, TEs Dissly and Dickson (and RBs) will catch more passes than last year. But there is definitely no shortage of field-stretching talent, with both Tyler Lockett and Metcalf around.

LBs: I've long felt Bobby Wagner was hugely underrated, and it is great to see that he's finally being recognized. I was a little surprised they re-signed K.J. Wright for the "not overpaying" philosophy I mentioned above, but I love K.J. Wright. The guy has football smarts in spades. Very glad to see him back.

Physically, KJ Wright is the Richard Sherman of LBs: fast, smart, and VERY long. Sherman was very underrated as a run defender, while Wright is very underrated as a pass defender. He covers a lot of ground and knocks down a lot of passes. Agree about Wags and Kendricks. As I've written before, that meathead down in Carolina steals a lot of Wagner's DPOY votes every year.

OL: Kind of a horror show, as always.

This one we disagree on. After picking up Mike Iupati to start at LG, Seattle declined to pick up the 2020 option on Germain "1st and 15" Ifedi, and the OL looked much improved last year, especially when DJ Fluker was in for Ifedi. There are better role players and better chemistry forming, and Brian Schottenheimer's much stronger focus on the run game took substantial pressure off Wilson compared to the 2016 disaster, when DangeRuss accounted for all but 1 of the team's offensive TDs and *should* have run away (almost literally) with the MVP. There is still no team that needs any one player more than Seattle needs Wilson, and it's not even close to close to close. I'm thinking MVP means "of the league" rather than "of the team". But I digress.

Speaking of the OL, one area not covered is RBs: deep pool, despite the loss of Mike Davis to the Bears. Chris Carson's the man (247/1,151 last season), and I think Rashaad Penny showed the requisite chops to succeed when he gets the opportunity.

So, optimism up in South Alaska for sure... Good takes from syke6, as usual.

-n8 (would love to see more "team takes" like this on other squads, from folks here)
Physically, KJ Wright is the Richard Sherman of LBs: fast, smart, and VERY long. Sherman was very underrated as a run defender, while Wright is very underrated as a pass defender. He covers a lot of ground and knocks down a lot of passes.

KJ Wright has some type of ESP when it comes to sniffing out screen plays. He somehow just knows it will be a screen and he breaks it up. It is uncanny.

There were rumors that the Hawks were going to move on from KJ this year for the usual reasons, youth, cost, coming off injures, etc. Kinda made sense. Carolina supposedly had some interest. But, like you say, he is excellent in coverage, doesn't miss tackles, doesn't get fooled...I'm just really glad they found a way to keep him.

No Love for the Seahawks Receivers Dept:

CBS rated the receivers as Seattle's possible pitfall.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-fatal-flaws-2019-tom-...

Hawks are a little thin at WR, but Lockett and Wilson have great chemistry. Metcalf is getting raves. That leaves a question mark or two, but they have Brown and Moore coming back, and some rookies. The article didn't mention Dissly or Ed Dickson at TE, both of whom are legit receivers (I thought they brought in Dissly to block. Who know he could catch passes and run away from people?).