Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The one need the Pats didn't fill was tight end. "Filling" Gronk's shoes with a rookie is impossible so I think that their thoughts all along were that they'll pick up someone on a trade or pulling a guy out of retirement. Most likely, it'll be a trade for a TE in the last year of his rookie contract or something like that.

I wasn't surprised to see a wide receiver picked first (Arizona State wide receiver N’Keal Harry). I didn't think we had a need at cornerback as I thought last year ended up very well but some of these guys will be retiring soon and apparently this guy is a monster (Vanderbilt cornerback Joejuan Williams). A defensive end in the third round made total sense (Michigan defensive end Chase Winovich) and apparently he's good. A running back in the 3rd round (Alabama running back Damien Harris) was a bit strange. It's not like we have a need there but apparently this guy was highly rated (3rd best by some accounts) and too good to pass up. Tackles, guards and a late round cornerback were also good uses of picks. We did grab a QB in the 4th round (Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham) who, with a little time, might work out according to people who know these sorts of things - or at least think they do. He'll have time as he won't be expensive picked that late. We also nabbed a punter (Stanford punter Jake Bailey) who might be needed next year with Ryan Allen only on a 1-year deal.

The Patriots are going to need to start filling positions with cheaper alternatives. I think this was the start of that. Apparently they've also signed 10 undrafted rookies. It has to be. They'll give Brady a sweet send-off contract I imagine and paying for that will hamstring the team for a number of years. Having cheaper players in development now might help with that.

We will see how many of these guys are still around in September.

Simon
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.