No. of Recommendations: 3
Patzer,

TMFSandman wrote, The money market fund my cash is automatically dumping into is SPAXX.

To which you replied, Mine, too. I'm a little annoyed that I can't get a higher yield fund as the sweep; but I was so annoyed with TD Ameritrade a few years ago playing the game of making me move cash to get a higher yield that I moved the cash and all the other investments to Fidelity.

I dumped TD Ameritrade a couple of years ago too. It was the change in their NTF ETF list that metaphorically broke my back. But it followed a pattern of making changes to pad their bottom line by pushing their customers toward higher fee products or eliminating free services (like a sweep account) that provide value and are fairly common at other brokerages.

Of course I also moved those assets to Merrill Edge. They too lack a decent sweep vehicle, even if theirs pays more than TD Ameritrade's. Also like TD Ameritrade, they lack anything that's really a money market type fund - one that intentionally tries to preserve the dollar.

However, they do have some ultra short offerings that do a reasonable job. And if you have the free trades, getting cash into and out of those issue isn't too difficult. And if you don't … well, they actually have one or two decent NTF short duration mutual bond fund offerings that are decent substitutes.

I also have a Fidelity CMA account. The cash in there is in SPRXX, which is paying 2.26% APY. That's like 0.20% more than SPAXX, which I believe is solely invested in government issues and repurchase agreements for the same.

Finally, The joke is on TD Ameritrade; my puny little accounts that they wanted to squeeze extra basis points out of have grown, and the growth wasn't with them.

Same here. The TDA rep called me each time I moved one of my accounts. But I told him the change to the change in the NTF ETF list was just too big a problem to overcome with a bunch of free trades, cash incentives and free access to their internal advisor software platform... He still made the call, more resigned each time I answered the phone.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.