No. of Recommendations: 30
Paul has been suspended by TMF.

From his e-mail:

The one post I had hoped to make today, was a picture of my lawn display (Link below). I'd appreciate it if one of you would post it for me.
Terrorcell's Front Yard in Texas:

http://home.comcast.net/~metal/images/coffintmf.jpg

And just say Good-bye to all for me.
Thanks and Bye,
Paul / Terrorcell

Even if you don't agree with Paul, he's a good man. He's an asset to the board just as Vile is. I fear we lost Paul.

Abe
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
He's an anti-semite.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Absentibus nil nisi bene.

Abe
He's an anti-semite.

Why are you so twitchy about anything that remotely resembles criticism of a Jew, Holt?

CF
This board is beginning to resemble the Somme.

CF
This board is beginning to resemble the Somme.
CF

Yeah, I thought he was done after the stunt he pulled on the Military Fools board. Not even a close call.
Absentibus nil nisi bene.

I love it when you talk dirty.

No. of Recommendations: 1

Why are you so twitchy about anything that remotely resembles criticism of a Jew, Holt?

Tc IS an anti-semite. Not because he criticizes Jews but because he made anti-semitic comments and insulted Derek for example as a "f***ing Jews".
insulted Derek for example as a "f***ing Jews"

I can't believe he called Derek a "f***ing Jew".
This would have rated, in anyone's eyes, including Paul's, automatic permanent suspension from the board.
Was it for this that he was suspended?

CF
This would have rated, in anyone's eyes, including Paul's, automatic permanent suspension from the board.

That was like 2 years or so ago, and yes, he was suspended for that for quite a while.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Even if you don't agree with Paul, he's a good man. He's an asset to the board just as Vile is. I fear we lost Paul.

Relax

People thought this years ago.

It was actually John that went first, then George...
Paul has been suspended by TMF.

The internet has its enemies, people who think that the sort of free and open exchange it fosters is a bad thing or works against their agenda, and so we don't need to be giving those people ammunition by violating copyright laws or being abusive and so forth. TMF has to protect itself from people who are threatened by the free flow of information.

Nevertheless, I'm saddened by the loss of Vile and tc.

Nuts to suspend him during the election.

Ridiculous.

Jedi

He goes well beyond that. One of the few that deserve the label.

Derek
Was it for this that he was suspended?

It was quite a while ago. I think AD may have been the only person to see it before the post was pulled other than me. I really got under his skin I think.

Derek
Nuts to suspend him during the election.
Ridiculous.
Jedi

So you are suggesting "new rules" be allowed sometimes but not others?
Seems rather wishy-washy if you ask me.
Weren't you one just a couple of days ago arguing with Vile in support of existing rules?

Now because of the election we should drop the rules?
I guess two days ago was far enough away from the election so that we needed to enforce the rules but now we are close enough to the election so we should suspend the rules?

Rather amazing logic Jegdi.

Mish
He's an anti-semite. </i.>

Paul doesn't like Palestinians??

The word anti-semitism specifically refers to Jews. It was first coined in 19th century Europe by some agitators who felt that Jews were the source of all their problems. At the time, there wasn't a significant Arab population in Europe at all.

Further, it's really a mistake to say that Arabs in general are semitic people. This assumption is based on the fact that Arabic and Hebrew share some very close linguistic similarities. Due to this and some Biblical references, some thought early on that Jews and Arabs were directly related.

What I think is really interesting though is that some studies have been done and apparently Palestinians and Jews are very closely related genetically.

It's a semantic thing I suppose.

Derek

Further, it's really a mistake to say that Arabs in general are semitic people. This assumption is based on the fact that Arabic and Hebrew share some very close linguistic similarities. Due to this and some Biblical references, some thought early on that Jews and Arabs were directly related.

I never said they were. Palestinians are semitic people. Look up the definition of semitic, you will not see anything closet to what you said in your first paragraph. And I used it properly.

What I think is really interesting though is that some studies have been done and apparently Palestinians and Jews are very closely related genetically.

Duh.

It refers to peoples and languages. I considered what the Zionists have done to Palestinians as very anti-semitic.

luv2earn is anti-semantic.

For Christ's sake,

so when I graduated in Semitic studies, I was sold the Brooklyn Bridge???

Abe<=== shocked
Looking at his lawn display, I get the message of vote Kerry and Democrat and it's the US's funeral. I suspect that is not the message he wanted to send.

Keith
No. of Recommendations: 5
I never said they were. Palestinians are semitic people. Look up the definition of semitic, you will not see anything closet to what you said in your first paragraph. And I used it properly.

I know the definition and you're wrong.

Hostility toward or prejudice against Jews or Judaism.
Discrimination against Jews.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=anti-semitism

Duh.

Duh isn't the right word. That's a pretty new theory and is not accepted widely yet. Until now, it was thought that there was no genetic similarities between Jews and Arabs. Turns out Palestinians are somewhat unique, at least genetically, amongst other Arab groups.

It refers to peoples and languages. I considered what the Zionists have done to Palestinians as very anti-semitic.

No. It's specific to hatred and bigotry toward Jews. There is certainly racism towards Palestinians but it has never been referred to as anti-semitism except by a few Arabs trying to be coy by saying they can't be anti-semitic. Like I said, it's semantics I guess. Racism is racism. But the definition has nothing to do with Arabs.

Derek
For Christ's sake,

so when I graduated in Semitic studies, I was sold the Brooklyn Bridge???

Abe<=== shocked

Abe, it's an old European mistake. There were some who lumped peoples together based on their languages and assumed that mean they connected culturally too. In reality, language tends to have less to do with ancestry and more to do with geography and politics. Since Yiddish is basically old German, you wouldn't suggest then that Jews who speak Yiddish are really Germanic would you? Same with all of those areas that England conquered. Nothing English about them yet they speak it well.

Derek

I know the definition and you're wrong.

Hostility toward or prejudice against Jews or Judaism.
Discrimination against Jews.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=anti-semitism

I used anti-semitic absolutely legitimately re: Palestinians.

Duh isn't the right word. That's a pretty new theory and is not accepted widely yet. Until now, it was thought that there was no genetic similarities between Jews and Arabs. Turns out Palestinians are somewhat unique, at least genetically, amongst other Arab groups.

Duh.

No. It's specific to hatred and bigotry toward Jews. There is certainly racism towards Palestinians but it has never been referred to as anti-semitism except by a few Arabs trying to be coy by saying they can't be anti-semitic. Like I said, it's semantics I guess. Racism is racism. But the definition has nothing to do with Arabs.

Argue with them:

Anti-Semitism \An`ti-Sem"i*tism\, n. Opposition to, or hatred of, Semites, esp. Jews. -- An`ti-Sem\"ite, n. -- An`ti-Sem*it\"ic, a.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

It can including all Semites.

Byeeee.

Looking at his lawn display, I get the message of vote Kerry and Democrat and it's the US's funeral. I suspect that is not the message he wanted to send.

Keith

Actually, I read a little more into that. Considering the John F. Kerry and JFK similarities that Kerry seeks to clutch to, is he saying Kerry will meet with the same fate as JFK?

Will he, terrorcell, be the assassin?

Good thing TMF saw through that conspiracy and got rid of him before he could really lock and load.

oldsourdough

In reality, language tends to have less to do with ancestry and more to do with geography and politics. Since Yiddish is basically old German, you wouldn't suggest then that Jews who speak Yiddish are really Germanic would you? Same with all of those areas that England conquered. Nothing English about them yet they speak it well.

Derek

Abe, it's an old European mistake. There were some who lumped peoples together based on their languages and assumed that mean they connected culturally too.

So all those big guys at Hebrew University are deluded, as well?

Since Yiddish is basically old German, you wouldn't suggest then that Jews who speak Yiddish are really Germanic would you?

Very weak. You're talking about a very late phase; it is common knowledge that Semites as well as non-Semitic proselytes adapted a German dialect in the middle ages. I don't know why I'm even answering to this.

That you believe that there is not a common ancestry for the Israelites, the Arabs, the Assyrians and the Aramaic people among others is astonishing and contradicts everything the scholarly community agrees upon. Maybe you might want to write a book:-)

Abe
Argue with them:

Anti-Semitism \An`ti-Sem"i*tism\, n. Opposition to, or hatred of, Semites, esp. Jews. -- An`ti-Sem\"ite, n. -- An`ti-Sem*it\"ic, a.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

It can including all Semites.

Byeeee

Again, it's a semantic thing but semitic refers to the descendents of Shem. If you are referring to the Biblical connection, then I suppose you are correct. But there isn't a whole lot of people who believe that's literally what happened. When the phrase was coined it was used specifically in reference to Jews. Today it still is intended to refer to Jews. Why would 19th century Europeans care at all about Palestinians and Arabs to come up with the phrase for them or in reference to them.

Anti-Semitism, political, social, and economic agitation and activities directed against Jews. The term is now used to denote speech and behavior that is derogatory to people of Jewish origin, whether or not they are religious. The word Semitic originally was applied to all descendants of Shem, the eldest son of the biblical patriarch Noah. In later usage, it refers to a group of peoples of southwestern Asia, including both Jews and Arabs. The word anti-Semitism was coined about 1879 to denote hostility toward Jews only.

http://encarta.msn.com/text_761574855__1/Anti-Semitism.html

Derek
Yeah, I thought he was done after the stunt he pulled on the Military Fools board. Not even a close call.

You mean the "pussies" post? Way over the top, IMHO.
So all those big guys at Hebrew University are deluded, as well?

If you believe the Torah literally, then yes, all Asiatics are descendents of Shem. Since you and I are reasonable people, I think we can agree that this is probably not the case.

Very weak. You're talking about a very late phase; it is common knowledge that Semites as well as non-Semitic proselytes adapted a German dialect in the middle ages. I don't know why I'm even answering to this.

That's exactly my point.

That you believe that there is not a common ancestry for the Israelites, the Arabs, the Assyrians and the Aramaic people among others is astonishing and contradicts everything the scholarly community agrees upon. Maybe you might want to write a book:-)

They share cultural ties. Each was conquered by the other, assimilated and regurgitated. The one thing we can really know is based on genetics. Genetically, Jews are more closely related to Greeks than to most other Arabs and Egyptians. Culturally, you are correct (and of course, very little of this matters anyway.) Hebrew evolved into Aramaic (or at least shared some common denominator) and somehow it evolved into Arabic. It's really quite amazing how similar they are.

Derek
If you believe the Torah literally, then yes, all Asiatics are descendents of Shem. Since you and I are reasonable people, I think we can agree that this is probably not the case.

I was speaking about the scholars in Semitic Studies at Hebrew University.

Hebrew evolved into Aramaic (or at least shared some common denominator) and somehow it evolved into Arabic.

Wrong. It si assumed that a 'protosemitic' language evolved into the different Semitic subbranches (East-Semitic, South-West Semitic and North-West Semitic).

Abe
I just rec'd a post by Mr. Cynic.

Is there ANY more proof needed that ALL Americans hold certain rights and virtues as valuable.

I hope terrorcell is not gone for good. If he is, and ya know who he is, buy him a beer for me and thank him for a job well done.

Gonna miss you me bruddah.

Bush is the worst pResident in the history of the US.
I was speaking about the scholars in Semitic Studies at Hebrew University.

Ok then. Were they really saying that modern Jews and modern Arabs are closely related genetically, or culturally (and in turn by their language.)

Wrong. It si assumed that a 'protosemitic' language evolved into the different Semitic subbranches (East-Semitic, South-West Semitic and North-West Semitic).

That doesn't make any sense. Aramaic wasn't spoken until much after Hebrew and it mostly replaed hebrew as the language spoken by the Israelites. Further, Aramaic was replaced by Arabic which evolved much after both of the others.

BTW Did you know there are still small pockets of people that speak Aramaic today? I was just reading about this group that is working to preserve these dying languages. Apparently there are thousands of dialects, mostly in the old Soviet region and in China that are hanging on by just a few people. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Seems kinda like finding someone who still speaks Latin as their first language.

Derek
PS I can't believe I'm still bothering with this debate. I have no idea why it matters. Racism is racism no matter what it's called.

Derek
That doesn't make any sense. Aramaic wasn't spoken until much after Hebrew.

Oh please, Derek. What language do you think was spoken in Babylon during the exile?

Further, Aramaic was replaced by Arabic which evolved much after both of the others.

Syriac, an Aramaic language was replaced by Arabic after the conquist, so far you're right. But do you really think some day in the sixth century A.D. people began to speak Arabic? The queen of Saba, what language do you think she was speaking? South Arabian. Duh.

BTW Did you know there are still small pockets of people that speak Aramaic today? I was just reading about this group that is working to preserve these dying languages. Apparently there are thousands of dialects, mostly in the old Soviet region and in China that are hanging on by just a few people. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Seems kinda like finding someone who still speaks Latin as their first language.

The biggest group of Aramaic speakers today is living - you guess it - in Detroit. There are some smaller groups in Belgium, Germany (Augsburg has a small community). You can still find some small communities in Syria (Ma'alula) and larger ones in Iraq (lake Urmia). We just bought two newly published descriptive studies on the Jewish Aramaic dialects of Irbil and another town in Iraqi Kurdistan.

And yes, there are hundreds of dialects.

BTW, I don't think there are still Aramaic speakers in China. Nevertheless, in the seventh century, Aramaic-speaking Christian missionaries reached China. Some Chinese-Aramaic bilingue inscriptions still exist.

Abe
luv2earn is anti-semantic.

Not one rec for that bit of wit until mine? Everyone shot their wad already?

Sartre pretty much nailed it long ago. If that don't look familiar you ain't paying attention, imo.

Thus, antisemitism is primarily Manicheanism; it explains the course of the world by the struggles between the principles of Good and Evil. There is no concievable truce between these two principles: one of them of neccesity must triumph and the other be destroyed."..........He chooses finally, that good be ready-made, not in question, out of reach; he dare not look at it for fear of being forced to contest it and seek another form of it. The Jew is only a pretext: elsewhere it will be the Negro, the yellow race; the Jew's existence simply allows the antisemite to nip his anxieties in the bud by persuading himself that his place has always been cut out in the world, that it was waiting for him and that by virtue of tradition he has the right to occupy it. Antisemitism, in a word, is fear of man's fate. The antisemite is the man who wants to be pitiless stone, furious torrent, devastating lightning; in short, everything but a man."

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20750314

http://www.penguin.ca/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,0_0452009308,00.html

As Flynn (1984:52) notes, "Sartre's descriptions move[d] beyond individual psychology to the social field and to what in an important insight he calls the 'bases and structures' of choice." In the analysis of the Anti-Semite and Jew, the oppositional relations of race then take on the existentialist dynamics already outlined in Being and Nothingness. What is remarkable in these texts is that Sartre sees racism as the social level of human psychology, born of fear of the human condition, a form of bad faith. If the Jew did not exist for the anti-Semite, he would invent him, for his fellow racist finds his own escape in the hatred for the Negro.

http://www.apa.udel.edu/apa/archive/newsletters/v97n2/black/sartre.asp

Oh please, Derek. What language do you think was spoken in Babylon during the exile?

Aramaic. But they spoke Hebrew before that. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just don't understand your point.

Syriac, an Aramaic language was replaced by Arabic after the conquist, so far you're right. But do you really think some day in the sixth century A.D. people began to speak Arabic? The queen of Saba, what language do you think she was speaking? South Arabian. Duh.

No. I know it takes time usually.

The biggest group of Aramaic speakers today is living - you guess it - in Detroit. There are some smaller groups in Belgium, Germany (Augsburg has a small community). You can still find some small communities in Syria (Ma'alula) and larger ones in Iraq (lake Urmia). We just bought two newly published descriptive studies on the Jewish Aramaic dialects of Irbil and another town in Iraqi Kurdistan.

Wow!

BTW, I don't think there are still Aramaic speakers in China. Nevertheless, in the seventh century, Aramaic-speaking Christian missionaries reached China. Some Chinese-Aramaic bilingue inscriptions still exist.

That's a heck of a hike. :)

Derek

Aramaic. But they spoke Hebrew before that. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just don't understand your point.

Where? In Babylon?

I don't understand your point. Hebrew is a North-West Semitic language just as Aramaic is.

The oldest epigraphic testimonies we have from Aramaic are older than those very few we possess of Hebrew.

Hebrew did not develop into Aramaic; the Jews at some stage (probably around the third century B.C.) adopted Aramaic as their spoken language. Hebrew became the language of the scholars.

Abe
Where? In Babylon?

I don't understand your point. Hebrew is a North-West Semitic language just as Aramaic is.

The oldest epigraphic testimonies we have from Aramaic are older than those very few we possess of Hebrew.

Hebrew did not develop into Aramaic; the Jews at some stage (probably around the third century B.C.) adopted Aramaic as their spoken language. Hebrew became the language of the scholars.

I'm sure you're right but I'm totally lost now. So I looked it up and I appear to be wrong.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/tree.html

Also, while searching for this "tree" I came across this article which eplains what I was trying to say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic

Derek
I'm sure you're right but I'm totally lost now. So I looked it up and I appear to be wrong.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/tree.html

Thanks.

BTW, the tree does not reflect the close relationship between Ancient South Arabian and Ge'ez (Ethiopic). Even the Ethiopic scripture was developed from ESA (Epigraphic South Arabican) scripture.

Abe

P.S.: As a freshman, I learned that the term 'Semitic' was first given by the German scholar Schlözer in 1781:

"Hebrew belongs to the family of Semitic languages. Other members of this family are Arabic and Aramaic, and it is assumed that they all evolved from one language which is known as 'proto-Semitic.' Among other connected languages were Ugaritic and Akkadian which are extinct. The name 'Semitic' was given to the group in 1781 by the scholar A.L. Schloezer because all the languages in it are spoken by peoples included among the sons of Shem listed in Genesis 10:21--29. (Encyclopedia Judaica Jr.)
Thanks.

BTW, the tree does not reflect the close relationship between Ancient South Arabian and Ge'ez (Ethiopic). Even the Ethiopic scripture was developed from ESA (Epigraphic South Arabican) scripture.

Abe

P.S.: As a freshman, I learned that the term 'Semitic' was first given by the German scholar Schlözer in 1781:

One thing I've always thought was funny is that I've had a much easier time learning Arabic than Hebrew but apparently my accent in Arabic is more similar to an Israeli than an American.

Odd don't you think?

Derek
One thing I've always thought was funny is that I've had a much easier time learning Arabic than Hebrew but apparently my accent in Arabic is more similar to an Israeli than an American.

You mean you pronounce that French 'r' as in milhamat ha-terror according to Sharon's pronouncation?

There are some Yemenite Jews that have a quite authentic Semitic pronouncation of Ivrit.

Basically Ivrith does not pronounce specific Semitic sounds like 'ayin' or 'tzade' correctly, as a majority of today's Ivrith speakers or their parents were - phonetically speaking - Indo-Europeans.

Abe
Basically Ivrith does not pronounce specific Semitic sounds like 'ayin' or 'tzade' correctly, as a majority of today's Ivrith speakers or their parents were - phonetically speaking - Indo-Europeans.

I guess that makes sense. It's caused me problems in the past because some folks I've needed to speak with have assumed I'm Israeli. I work with a speech coach quite a bit but my tongue does not like to cooperate.

Derek

I work with a speech coach quite a bit but my tongue does not like to cooperate.

Derek

Most of all, work on the 'r'. You must speak the 'r' with your tongue, like a very fast 'd'. Just a tip.

Abe

Surprising that this thread from its sad beginnings has evolved into an interesting and very much off topic thread on Aramaic (and other Semitic) language. Thanks, guys!

I have to correct you on Urmia. The lake and city of Urmia is in Iran, but it is indeed the geographic focal point of the Assyrian (Aramaic speaking) community in Iran. Most Iraqis speaking Assyrian-Aramaic dialects live in the area north of Mosul/Nineveh with many villages inhabited by Assyrians. Due to urbanisation and Saddam's forced relocation and arabisation policy, many Assyrians also live in the cities of Mosul and Baghdad where the dominant language is Arabic.

I have the good fortune to live in the only city of my country with a sizeable Assyrian population (about 700), and two weeks ago I visited an Aramaic service which was an experience of incredible linguistic and musical beauty. When I learn enough Aramaic to understand more than "Our Father"*, I might consider becoming a member of the local Assyrian Church of the East.

Gunnar

* You can see and listen to the Lord's Prayer in Aramaic here ->
http://www.nestorian.org/the_lord_s_prayer_in_syriac.html
but the Assyrian church choir's sung version is quite special (performed twice during mass) and must be experienced live!

Okay, guys, I can't believe that I read this entire thread, but now that I have, can I ask you two a couple of questions?

Abe, what is your educational history as related to these languages? A post-graduate degree in ............what, exactly?

Ghdude, why, may I ask, are you learning all of these Semitic languages?

(Just out of curiousity. Hey, I followed you THIS far.......)

I speak Hebrew (barely) because I'm Jewish and my mother made me. And I'm learning to speak Arabic because the Army wants me to.

Derek
Does that mean you're going back to Iraq?

I speak Hebrew (barely) because I'm Jewish and my mother made me. And I'm learning to speak Arabic because the Army wants me to.

Derek
-----------

Good old Jewish guilt, works every time.

What, it should kill you to learn a little Hebrew?

And make sure you practice your piano, your father kills himself to make money for your lessons.

Eat that gefilte fish already, don't you know people are starving in China?

dov, remembers
Does that mean you're going back to Iraq?

Not sure. More likely Afghanistan but Iraq is a possibility.

Derek

And make sure you practice your piano, your father kills himself to make money for your lessons.

Mom!!! Is that you?!?!

Derek
No. of Recommendations: 5

Mom!!! Is that you?!?!

Derek

------------

Don't be such a schmarty pants, you haven't called in two days. What, changing your diapers and nursing your for 2 years wasn't enough sacrifice for you? You can't even find your way to a phone to call your mother Mr Bigshot, galavanting around Iraq of all places.

Uncle Izzy had chest pains last week. Your father told him over and over to stop eating all that treif food. Izzy claims it was the borscht with sour cream that clogged up his arteries.

And cousin Schmuley is still running around with that shiksa girl, oy the heartache his mother is going through right now.

Last week your sister Sarah came home with a tatoo, I got down on my hands and knees and put my head in the oven. Sarah pulled me out and my arthritis started acting up in my left foot. She drove me to the emergency room and I had to wait two hours for an MRI. Then this goyisha doctor told me nothing was wrong and had the nerve to tell me that I should see a psychiatrist!

Later that night the phone rang. I answered it and said 'who died'? But, it was only that meshugennah aunt of mine complaining to me about HER problems. She should be so lucky to only have a husband with one heart attack, let alone three.

God, take me now please... oh, I gotta go, the Nanny is on TV.

Love you dahling,

Mamella

PS, when is that wife of yours going to give me a grandchild, anyway?

Until now, it was thought that there was no genetic similarities between Jews and Arabs. Turns out Palestinians are somewhat unique, at least genetically, amongst other Arab groups.

Duh.
>>
Surprisingly, several studies a closer genetic affinity by Jews to the non-Jewish, non-Arab populations in the northern part of the Middle East than to Arabs. Maybe the old stories about Abraham being from Ur (in the northern part of Mesopotamia, like Kurds and Armenians--two populations Jewish people share some genetic markers with) have a good smidgeon of truth.

Probably a portion of Palestinian and Israeli Arabs are descended from the original population of the Levant, but also a good chunk are descended from Arabs coming out of the Arabian peninsula, who apparently have several different genetic markers. Since Jews (who did not convert to Islam) didn't intermarry with peninsular Arabs as much as Islamicized Levantine "neo"-Arabs (since they soon began speaking Arabic, I'll count them as culturally "Arab"), it would make sense that Jews retain some of the "original" Levantine signature genetic markers, while the Arabs would be less obviously "different."

Just a fun fact.

David
Even if you don't agree with Paul, he's a good man.

Right, one that comes over to Military Fools on a recurring basis and badmouths servicemembers past and present with insults like "REMF" and gets called out over his bogus, ridiculous, inane posts by the entirety of the board time and time again.

Good job, TMF, getting rid of one who deleted value from the boards.

Mark
Ah.........that makes sense. Thank you for the reply.
I think the thread is quite Ironic...for TerrorCell that is
Semitics.

Abe
I have to correct you on Urmia. The lake and city of Urmia is in Iran, but it is indeed the geographic focal point of the Assyrian (Aramaic speaking) community in Iran.
The lake and city of Urmia is in Iran...

My mistake. Sorry.

BTW,

here's a list of the Aramean emigration in the world:

Location 31.01.2001

North America
Canada 200.000
United States 2.300.000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latin America
Argentina 300.000
Brazil 2.500.000
Mexico 240.000
Venezuela 20.000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arab world
Egypt 20.000
Jordan 38.000 ( 30.000 Flüchtlinge aus dem Irak )
Saudi Arabia 30.000
Cyprus 30.000 (Maroniten)
Iran 50.000
Israel 65.520

Homeland
Syria Syriac - Orthodox: 600.000
Syriac - Melkite 1200.000
Assyrian Church, Syriac - Chaldean Church, Syriac - Maronte and Syriac - Catholic: 300.000
Total: 2.100.000

Türkey Syriac - Orthodox: 12.5000
Syriac - Islam (Mahalmi): 3..500.000 - 4.500.000
Syriac - Melkite 20.000
Syriac Maronite
Syriac - Chaldean
Assyrian Church
Total:

Lebanon Syriac - Maronite: 1040.000
Syriac - Melkite: 650.000
Syriac - Orthodox: 60.000
Syriac - Catholic: 80.000
Assyrian Church: 10.000
Syriac - Chaldean Church: 10.000
Total: 1.840.000

Iraq Syriac - Chaldean: 800.000 - 950.000
Assyrian Church: 350.000
Syriac - Orthodox: 150.000
Syriac Catholic: 70.000
Syriac- Mandean: 200.000
Total: 1.570.000 - 1720.000

Kuwait Assyrian Church, Syriac - Chaldean Church 15.000
Syriac - Orthodox: 5.000
Total: 15.000

Europe
Austria 2000
Belgium 15.000
France 60.000
Great Britain 9.000
Greece 10.000
Italy 8.000
Spain 5.200
Switzerland 8.000
Germany Syriac-Orthodox: 80.000
Syriac-Maronite: 10.000
Syriac-Melkite: 15.000
Syriac-Islam (Mahalmi): 15.000 - 20.000
Assyrian Church and Syriac-Chaldean Church: 18.000
Total: 138.000 - 143.000

Sweden Syriac – Orthodox: 90.000
Syriac – Maronite: 25.000
Syriac - Chaldean, Assyrian Church, Syriac - Melkite and Mandean: 35.000
Total: 150.000

Norway 10.000
Nederland 30.000

Oceania
Australia 400.000
New Zealand 50.000
http://www.beth-aram.de/statistiken.html

Abe