Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Paul, please defend the assertion that a literal interpretation of the Bible is the only one that "accepts the Bible." For I have to say, as a fellow Christian, that IMO the idea you are espousing that theism and creationism/ID are inextricably bundled together is a lie from the pit of Hell.

There are many interpretations given to many passages in the Bible. Some obviously must be right and some must be wrong. There are reasons for the various interpretations. Some are serious misinterpretations and some are minor.

I don't see where a christians acceptance of a young or old earth will cause a major problem with their faith.

What I think, however, is that someone who does not believe that the earth was created and who does not believe in God must believe iin an old earth because an old earth is required for life to evolve into what it is today.

The Bible says that the earth was created. It says that God created all life on earth. It doesn't say how he did it, whether or not he used evolution. It does say it was done in 6 days.

My opinion is that evolution and an old earth are based on evidence that presupposes an old earth and evolution. It is convenient for those who wish to believe that the earth was not created. I think that this has happened to such an extent and for so long that many now understand it to be fact. I think that is why it is accepted by many who are christian. When you observe something and believe it to be true, then you understand things in the context that you observe them. With the observation that so many things seem to support evolution, then it seems to make sense that the literal 6 days must be interpreted as a span of time that is longer that literal days.

I put an emphasis on the Bible because I believe that it holds more truth and gives more foundation to the truth that the earth was created. I think that a faith in God is more important than an interpretation of what the 6 days in Genesis means. As for me, I have always felt that the 6 days were literal days.

Despite what is said on this message board by others, I think there is good information on the AiG website.

JMHO

Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.