Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
pauleckler,

I wrote, The federal contribution limits ($17,500 in 2013) on 401k plans are the same whether the contributions are pre-tax or post-tax.

To which you replied, That is quite a change from the days when I participated in 401ks. Back the combined max was always much higher, often $10K more.

I think you may be confusing some numbers. I believe there is some limit to how much that can be contributed in total and it also depends on whether we are talking deductible contributions or not. For instance, the maximum that can be contributed in total to a defined contribution plan for 2013 is $51,000. If you're self-employed, you can hit this by contributing an amount (from gross income) equal to up to 25% of the compensation you pay yourself.

Suppose your contracting business makes $100K in a year and it is all profit (from labor). You could pay yourself $80K in compensation and contribute $20K to your 401k as the employer. Then as an employee you can contribute an additional $17,500 - $23,000 if you are eligible for catch-up contributions. That would let you defer taxes on up to $45,000/year or 45% of your gross. However, the combined contributions would get capped out at $51,000 in 2013 if you made more.

There are lots of other numbers that affect who can ultimately contribute what. I suspect most people are constrained by the basic numbers discussed this board. The changes to the 2013 numbers are listed on the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/uac/2013-Pension-Plan-Limitations

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.