Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My son will be attending college in the Fall and I will be paying mostly in cash.

1st question: Are there any kind of tax breaks when paying tuition for a dependent?

Now the more complicated part:

Currently I have a joint checking and savings account at our credit union. I am the primary and my son (age 18) is the secondary. Meaning the account has my SSN and any interest is reported to the IRS with my SSN. The savings account was opened when he was born. I just found out that the credit union offers an account option for young adults that pays a higher interest rate. To take advantage of this we would have to change the account so that he is the primary which means that interest would now be reported on his SSN.

2nd question: If I use this account to transfer in tuition payments will this be considered a gift and will I run into problems with gift limits and taxes? It will be a joint account and still have my name on it. I just want to make sure that half of any deposits won;t be considered a gift.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.