No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.fool.com/features/2002/a020128.htm

I just found this out. This doesn't make me very happy.

Fool on!!
Matt
Print the post Back To Top
It was inevitable. Why fight it?

I'll sign up promptly.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'll keep my money. I survived without the fool, I'll survive without again. I understand business. I understand I am the customer. I don't want to buy what they are selling. This board has been usefull, but I get 90% of my valuable info from other places not on the computer.

Guitar Jr.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think this may be the beginning of the end for the Fool. A large number may become charter members, but not enough. Over time, fewer and fewer people will be convinced that paying *gasp* $30 a year is worth the benefit.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Fool a great deal. But $30 a year is a bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps if they had limited the subscription fee to a more affordable $10-$20 range, more people would sign up.

-- docman52
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm in. It actually is in the $10-20 range when you consider that its $30 for 2 years.

I'm a relative newbii to this board and have also spent more time lurking in the past several months; however, prior knowledge gained from the BRK.A and Peter Lynch boards are worth 10x that amount. There are a lot of quality posters on these boards that are worth the price of admission.

My $0.02 (or is that $29.95?),

The Wolf
I'm in. It actually is in the $10-20 range when you consider that its $30 for 2 years.

So you agree that $15/yr is much more reasonable than $30/yr!?

BTW, the 2 yr. option for $30 is only good until Valentine's day. Then it becomes $30/yr for everyone.

I am really having a hard time justifying the cost.

Sure, I get good information from this site, but I also get good information from magazines, other FREE web sites, TV, etc.

-- docman52
magazines, other FREE web sites, TV,..

The only thing "free" there is the FREE web sites. You pay for magazines, r/e clubs, your TV, the cable or dish to actually use your TV,... It's business.

Is $1.25 per month / $0.04 per day for the first two years that hard to justify? I've only frequented this board for a little over a month, but the info that jiml8 provides is well worth the new cost. Another poster (SirTas) linked a site to Jack Reed's Web site and the knowledge I gained from that post alone is well worth the costs! This is just from several weeks of lurking on a board.

You know what they say, "Opinions are like @$$es - - Everyone has one and they usually stink!" I think that it's justified and (thankfully) reasonable. I spend $30 just thinking about going out for the evening, so a site that provides loads of info is well worth the costs to me.

The Wolf
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am really having a hard time justifying the cost.

Sure, I get good information from this site, but I also get good information from magazines, other FREE web sites, TV, etc.

-- docman52

I am pretty sure you can write off the cost on your taxes for related business expenses.

Paying for a *community* has not worked well in the past on social net sites( ThePark, for example), but TMF has a strong community spirit and dedication to sharing useful information that may make the difference. This move may not work out for them in this recession, but I think they they are smart to try and build a structure that will support the community for the years to come.

Try "Yahoo" sometime, when you need decent information from consistent posters. You literally gotta wade thru posting garbage to find value.
Some things are worth paying for in terms of time and convenience, imo.

~j
This board is a great resource, and I'm certian expensive to maintain (since that is my line of work). I understand a need for return on investment and don't have a problem with the $30 per year.

That being said, I expect participation will no longer grow leaving all of the regulars to only talk to one another.

Just my spin