Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all! I'm a self-employed and I would like to ask my fellow Fools from this board regarding my concern whether I can ask for an extension from the IRS in paying my 1998 income tax. I owed the IRS about $15,000 and would like to know if I can extend paying it. The reason why I want to do this because I'm also set to purchase my first home this coming April '99 and I want to have sufficient cash on hand. If in case I'll be granted to extend my payment what are the expected penalties or consequences. Is there any Law that support my request of extension of tax payment? If yes, what are the pros and cons? Also,I want to add that I have several investments that I can tap in case I need to but this would be my last option since I preferred to keep my investments intact and not liable for capital gain tax next year. I will appreciate anyone's opinion regarding my concern.Fool on.....Don.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.