Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Should the state issue a 1099 for disability and family leave payments? After the family leave, I received a letter stating that they would report the amount to the IRS. My husband also has disability income that is taxable.

The income can be reported without a 1099. I have to admit it feels tidier when there are 1099 to match to the income and not just reporting what we believe the state will report.
Print the post Back To Top
Should the state issue a 1099 for disability and family leave payments? After the family leave, I received a letter stating that they would report the amount to the IRS.

I don't know the answer to your question, but it sounds conceptually similar to New York not issuing 1099-G's for state tax refunds. I can look at last year's return, or I can get it off the NY tax website; but it doesn't just come in the mail.

I'd think if it's reported to the IRS, the state ought to make it available to you somehow, even if you have to go to a website and print it out for your records.

Unfortunately, "ought to" and "does" aren't always the same thing when it comes to taxes.

Patzer
No. of Recommendations: 1
Should the state issue a 1099 for disability and family leave payments?

What state are we talking about here?

In CA, they don't issue a 1099 since disability and family leave from the State Disability Insurance is not taxable.

I have no idea how other states work.

--Peter
In CA, they don't issue a 1099 since disability and family leave from the State Disability Insurance is not taxable.

It is California.

They stated that the family leave payments would be reported to the IRS.

The disability payments are taxable. They are in lieu of unemployment and therefore taxable.
Of course as soon as I ask, I received a 1099-G for the family leave payments. So far, no 1099-G for the disability.