No. of Recommendations: 1
About 18 months ago, I got tired of stuffing mattresses in this low-yield world and began to invest in earnest outside of my 401K and IRA funds. My private wealth advisor at Ameriprise, a knowledgeable and affable man, steered us toward some tax-advantaged, muni bond funds like FRHIX and MDNLX, but I wanted to test the waters of stock investing and decided to call myself a 'dividend investor'. Unfortunately, I hadn't read enough Motley advice before falling prey to chasing high dividend yields like Pitney Bowes (>8% at the time)...and at a nose-bleed price of $19.25/share! Several months later, I ignored the signs of declining revenue and erosion of the physical mail business. Alas, months later, I decided to buy more and average down to a "bargain" level of more than $16/share!

Despite the double-digit yield today, I don't expect to free up my dead money without taking a loss. Motley lessons-learned: 1) chasing the highest dividend yields is bad for your (financial) health 2) not all high-yielding stocks need be avoided....just make sure you understand and believe in their long-term business model. Fools of the world, thanks for the education you give me every day and turning me into a better investor today! Fool On!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.