Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Searching the P/E for Royald Dutch Petrol I found under Quotes/Data, detailed: P/E = 30. However, under Quotes/Data, snapshot I see a P/E of 272.44. Why do two different figures appear, please? How are they computed?

By the way, under snapshot there several abbreviations, such as Price/Earnings (TTM) or Price/book (MRQ). What does TTM and MRQ stand for?

Sorry, for these foolish questions, but I'm afraid I've become a FOOL. Thanks a lot for your help.

Yours very truly,
Franz Loidl, Vienna, Austria
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Searching the P/E for Royald Dutch Petrol I found under Quotes/Data, detailed: P/E = 30. However, under Quotes/Data, snapshot I see a P/E of 272.44. Why do two different figures appear, please? How are they computed?

By the way, under snapshot there several abbreviations, such as Price/Earnings (TTM) or Price/book (MRQ). What does TTM and MRQ stand for?>>

No need to apologize, Franz! You're asking some good questions!

TTM = trailing twelve months. It's a better way of saying "in the last year." Imagine that we're now in the 3rd quarter of a company's year. Trailing twelve months means the last 4 reported quarters, even though they straddle two fiscal years.

MRQ = I'm guessing, but it must be "most recent quarter."

Why are the P/Es different? I suspect it's because we use different data providers for the two items (snapshot vs. quotes) and each provider might use different data. For example, you can calculate a P/E based on the current estimated earnings for the current year. Or on the trailing twelve months of earnings. P/E is simply price in relation to earnings -- but WHICH earnings? :) There are choices there, so several different possibilities. Also, even if they use the same numbers, perhaps a company just reported new numbers and one provider has incorporated them and the other hasn't got to it yet, but will tomorrow. Another possibility.

Selena
Print the post Back To Top