No. of Recommendations: 1
I understand the theory behind the "foolish four" and find it quite appealing, but I have a "foolish" question.
My question is that by identifying the foolish four using dividend yield, is only part of the returns picture being captured? It is my understanding that many companies elect to give shareholders their returns not through dividends, but through appreciation of the share price (which they attempt to accomplish through stock buy-back plans). Firms that elect to grant shareholder returns in this manner will generally, all other things being equal, have lower dividend yields, and therefore be less likely candidates for the foolish four than those that elect to grant returns through dividends.
My thinking is that no matter which methods companies choose to grant returns (dividends or buy-backs), the money with which to grant these returns theoretically comes from the same place, earnings. I therefore wonder whether selecting companies with low P/E (price/earnings)ratios (or equivalently, the highest E/P ratios) rather than high dividend yields might better capture the entire returns picture, while still leaving the underlying logic, namely identifying "bargians" or "sleeping giants", unchanged.
I was wondering what thoughts you might have on this subject, and if P/E has been looked at as a potential foolish four measure. If so, is there any backtesting data utilizing P/E (or E/P) as the identifying measure?

Thank you,

Eldrehad
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.