Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Pebbles--

>>I am now on 500mg of Glucophage twice a day. I was thinking of speaking to my doctor about discontinuing that as well, and controlling entirely by diet.<<

You're definitely going in the right direction. I've been off my Glimepiride (Amaryl) for 13 months now, with diet and exercise...and with my physician (who also has me on a formal, medically-supervised weight loss program; I've lost 104 pounds so far, but still 99 to go) reasonably happy. My HbA1c's, WITHOUT meds, at 4.5 to 5.5%, are the better than they ever were, WITH meds.
One key points, IMO:
It's NOT just 'diet'; but diet AND EXERCISE. Diet, alone, with rare exceptions, will not, for example, increase insulin tolerance (which is what your Glucophage is doing chemically)...whereas exercise is proven to. You got to improve both. And, in the end, it has to be every day.
As my doctor reminded me last week, when I asked him why, for example, he didn't have C-reactive protein tested for during my quarterly blood work, his response was: "Because the main reason for that is to test for risk of heart disease; BUT AS A DIABETIC YOU ESSENTIALLY ALREADY HAVE HEART DISEASE, so there is no point in doing it". This goes along with the ADA assessment that each Type II diabetic should basically behave as if you've already had one heart attack.

good luck...and keep at it! It's worth it.

JP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.