Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I *love* the idea of pedometers.

Problem is, I can never get one to work right for me. I don't know why.

I had a traditional one, measured out my stride, wore it on my waist. I know I walked 1.5 miles or more. Only counted a few hundred steps. Tried clipping it to my bra, putting it in my pocket, always inaccurate results. I thought maybe my stride just wasn't bouncy enough to count or something?

I thought when I got my ipod that the one on there would work better, since it's supposed to have what they call "an accelerometer" (nano, 5th gen).

First time I tried it, I walked a loop that google maps tells me is a little over 2 miles. It recorded less than 800 steps. I've had it on when I've been active all day, running around different buildings and for the whole day, it recorded maybe 1500 steps. There's just no way. I walked 6 miles one day last year, only recorded a little over 2k steps.

I've tried holding in my hand, in an armband, in my pocket, tucked into my bra.

The only thing that seems to work is if it's in my immobile hand and I'm actually watching it. And THAT takes all the fun out of going for a walk.

So, those of you that use pedometers and have them record accurately, is there a trick to it, or what?

Ishtar
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.