Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
pedorrero,

A very significant consideration for replacing your older A/C unit is the decreasing availability of Freon and increasing cost to recharge the Freon (HCFC-22 and R-22).

In 2010, the EPA banned the production of any new systems that used R-22 due to its harmful effects on the ozone layer.
Starting January 1, 2020, EPA mandated a complete ban on manufacturing or importing the chemical itself.
Freon is the common name for HCFC-22 and R-22 – the chemicals that are the most popular refrigerants that have been used in AC units over the past decades. In a properly working unit, your Freon level shouldn’t change. However, if a repair is needed and the Freon leaks, replacing this Freon will be difficult and increasingly expensive.
Source: https://www.trane.com/residential/en/resources/what-does-the...

In 2011, I replaced my 23-year old home HVAC system with a new top-of -the-line Trane HVAC system that does not use Freon in compliance with EPA.

I recommend starting some research for a new HVAC system.

Per your LBYM pursuit, check for current rebates and incentives offered by HVAC manufacturers and utility companies. I got a $1,000 rebate from Trane and a $200 rebate from the Southern California Gas Company.

Your biggest challenge is finding the right HVAC contractor who can correctly perform all the requisite calculations, in turn, correctly size the HVAC system of his or your choice, and competently install the system that all fit within your budget. Does your budget include replacement of ductwork? I would seek at least 3 bids from HVAC contractors.

I highly recommend taking your case to the TMF Building/Maintaining a Home board for great advice and recommendations from astute participants.
https://boards.fool.com/building-maintaining-a-home-100167.a...

Regards,
Ray
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.