Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
pedorrero,

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=HVAC

The listed HVAC references not only include TMF board discussions, but also articles, blog posts, blog comments, article comments and stock pitches that can be filtered by unchecking boxes under Refine by Type on the left side. Also, clicking “Date” at the top right side will arrange the listing from newest to oldest.

Bookmark the above website for future use by entering any topic in the “Your Search” box.

Since I do not have any paid subscriptions at TMF, the search function provides me only free access information. I do not know if the same search function provides a TMF subscriber info from that person’s paid site.

======================

So, TMF does have such a search feature/function, but you won’t find it here at the TMF Boards site.

You have to go to the fool.com site. Just click “The Motley Fool” moniker at the top of the upper left corner.

At the fool.com site, you should find a “Company Search” box on the upper right side. (If it’s not there, try closing the column with your bookmarks; I’m using Safari on my MacBook Pro). Type and enter HVAC in this box and you should get the following search site listing all articles, blog posts, blog comments, discussions (at TMF boards), article comments and stock pitches on HVAC.

====================

If entering HVAC in the Company Search box at fool.com does not work (if there was a company ticker HVAC, the search would have gone to that company site), type and enter your name pedorrero in the Company Search box and you should get the following:

https://www.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=pedorrero

Save and bookmark this page. You can then enter HVAC in the Your Search box.

=====================

I’ve been using this TMF search function for a very long time because I like its format, ease of use and quick access and convenience without leaving the TMF website to go to Google search.

Regards,
Ray
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hola pedorrero

Try Google with this format:

Site:fool.com "board name exactly" search term

For your search it would be:
Site:fool.com "Living Below Your Means" HVAC

I find this moderately successful, and usually have to play around with the search term.
For instance, I searched HVAC and got nothing.
Air conditioning returned 1 hit.
But... Google AI sometimes makes its own assumptions?

I will try a word or phrase that I KNOW is in the board ... once I can find that word/phrase, I at least know the search is working to that point. Then, I substitute words or phrases for the concept I'm interested in.

Happy hunting.
😷
ralph
Many years ago, someone insulted the guy who was responsible for coding the search function. Now he has his revenge.
You can do a search of all boards for keywords by doing this search on Google:

site:"https://boards.fool.com" hvac

But I agree with your sentiment that these boards are lacking a lot of features that one would expect to have available. The above may not be ideal as it will include boards you may not be interested in, but it can also help you find things you may not have otherwise seen.
Feed this string to Google:

HVAC "Living Below Your Means" site:boards.fool.com
No. of Recommendations: 10
TMF used to have a great search tool.

Then it was improved, repeatedly, to the point where it is now non-existent.

peace & old posts
t
I think search Building/Maintaining a Home board would provide better results.
pedorrero,

Is this what you are looking for?

The listed HVAC references not only include TMF board discussions, but also articles, blog posts, blog comments, article comments and stock pitches that can be filtered by unchecking boxes under Refine by Type on the left side. Also, clicking “Date” at the top right side will arrange the listing from newest to oldest.

Bookmark the above website for future use by entering any topic in the “Your Search” box.

Since I do not have any paid subscriptions at TMF, the search function provides me only free access information. I do not know if the same search function provides a TMF subscriber info from that person’s paid site.

======================

So, TMF does have such a search feature/function, but you won’t find it here at the TMF Boards site.

You have to go to the fool.com site. Just click “The Motley Fool” moniker at the top of the upper left corner.

At the fool.com site, you should find a “Company Search” box on the upper right side. (If it’s not there, try closing the column with your bookmarks; I’m using Safari on my MacBook Pro). Type and enter HVAC in this box and you should get the following search site listing all articles, blog posts, blog comments, discussions (at TMF boards), article comments and stock pitches on HVAC.

====================

If entering HVAC in the Company Search box at fool.com does not work (if there was a company ticker HVAC, the search would have gone to that company site), type and enter your name pedorrero in the Company Search box and you should get the following:

https://www.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=pedorrero

Save and bookmark this page. You can then enter HVAC in the Your Search box.

=====================

I’ve been using this TMF search function for a very long time because I like its format, ease of use and quick access and convenience without leaving the TMF website to go to Google search.

Regards,
Ray
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thank you for helping me find the well-hidden search feature!

I provide the following as a prime example of what we do here -- figure out what is actually a LBYM goal.

In the meantime, I have decided, without actually researching, that in my situation it probably makes sense to wait until my AC actually breaks expensively. I am, let us say, into year 17 of a 15-year projected life expectancy*. As I am wont to do, let me over-analyze this.

Background: HVAC system is "old" and has chronic issues that aren't worth fixing. This isn't just some opinion I pulled out of my, er, out of a dark place [grin]. This is the opinion of the tech that recently serviced my unit. It's just old, and prone to breakdowns and not worth repairing.

Cost: New HVAC will cost roughly $6-8K. This is not a trivial cost to me.

Option 1: Replace as soon as possible. Arguments in favor: can plan exact costs, schedule the repairs. Arguments against: unit is working adequately, and will continue to do so for an unknown period into the future.

Otion 2: cheaper to keep her. Arguments in favor: Unit is working acceptably. Most recent repair was about 1/100 the cost of a full replacement, this I can easily afford. Arguments against: if I replace now, I "lose" the "free" extended lifespan of my current unit, which is now working and will for an unknowable amount of time into the future.

Finally, what is the worst-case for each option? Option 1 gets me a new system with warranty, but I also am $8,000 poorer. Option 2's worst-case would seem to be the system finally dies during a heat wave. Woe is me, I will have to live in a warm, humid home for several days while a new system is chosen and installed. I've done this in the past (hurricane power outage, anyone?) and the point is -- it's an inconvenience but no threat to survival or even health.

So, after this lengthy analysis, what seems to me at least, the common-sense solution is let the old system limp along, and keep funds (or heaven forbid, credit card) on hand for the inevitable -- but perhaps far into the future -- need to replace the HVAC.

*My first home had a (then) 27-year-old HVAC system that worked perfectly. I lived there for about two years.If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
So, after this lengthy analysis, what seems to me at least, the common-sense solution is let the old system limp along, and keep funds (or heaven forbid, credit card) on hand for the inevitable -- but perhaps far into the future -- need to replace the HVAC.

Did your analysis include the energy savings of a new unit over the old one?

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 3
pedorrero,

A very significant consideration for replacing your older A/C unit is the decreasing availability of Freon and increasing cost to recharge the Freon (HCFC-22 and R-22).

In 2010, the EPA banned the production of any new systems that used R-22 due to its harmful effects on the ozone layer.
Starting January 1, 2020, EPA mandated a complete ban on manufacturing or importing the chemical itself.
Freon is the common name for HCFC-22 and R-22 – the chemicals that are the most popular refrigerants that have been used in AC units over the past decades. In a properly working unit, your Freon level shouldn’t change. However, if a repair is needed and the Freon leaks, replacing this Freon will be difficult and increasingly expensive.
Source: https://www.trane.com/residential/en/resources/what-does-the...

In 2011, I replaced my 23-year old home HVAC system with a new top-of -the-line Trane HVAC system that does not use Freon in compliance with EPA.

I recommend starting some research for a new HVAC system.

Per your LBYM pursuit, check for current rebates and incentives offered by HVAC manufacturers and utility companies. I got a $1,000 rebate from Trane and a $200 rebate from the Southern California Gas Company.

Your biggest challenge is finding the right HVAC contractor who can correctly perform all the requisite calculations, in turn, correctly size the HVAC system of his or your choice, and competently install the system that all fit within your budget. Does your budget include replacement of ductwork? I would seek at least 3 bids from HVAC contractors.

I highly recommend taking your case to the TMF Building/Maintaining a Home board for great advice and recommendations from astute participants.
https://boards.fool.com/building-maintaining-a-home-100167.a...

Regards,
Ray
Google is a decent alternative, as others have noted up thread.

FWIW, Google is in the search business, and makes oodles of money from it. The Fool is not in the search business, and while they used to have a better search function, there is no money to be made from it on such a limited community of users, and worse, it costs money to index every post and purchase the software required to maintain such a database. Over time the number of posts increases geometrically, requiring larger servers, upgraded software, and maintenance, always the maintenance. The index is only additive; you have to keep every post forever - unless you want to have a crippled search function in the first place.

The overlords at the Fool decided that maintaining such an index was too costly and not productive enough to their mission to justify the expense, and frankly I agree with them. Google’s alternative, imperfect as it is, will suffice.