Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
First, our tax situation: Married, filing jointly, with 4 kids. (Last year, under similar circumstances, we qualified for various credits allowing us a significant 'refund' even though we paid no taxes. Our AGI was under $25K, and I expect it to be no more than $30K this year.)

I have about $5100 in a Simple IRA (at Vanguard) from my last job. My first contribution was made more than 2 years ago. (I include this because my research tells me that the date of first contribution affects the penalty).

I had been planning to roll it over into an existing Roth IRA at TIAA-CREF. They told me the conversion will require me to pay taxes on the amount as regular income, but there is no penalty.

But I also have about $5200 of debt on one of my credit cards. It occurred to me to instead take an early withdrawal and use the proceeds to pay off the credit card.

I now that if I do that, I have to pay taxes AND a penalty, but how much is the penalty?

If the penalty is small, it might be less than the interest I'll end up paying on the credit card.

I'm no tax expert, so I very much welcome any suggestions (and/or criticisms) you folks have.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.