Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
JR
No problems re pension info. Here's the guts. I receive an RNZAF pension and a War Disablement Pension (for deafness - too much gunfire LOL !!) which in NZ is not means tested. I turn 65 later this year and whereas I could draw the NZ Age Pension together with my RNZAF pension without it being means tested I can't do that in Oz.
In Oz the RNZAF pension is means tested together with asset tests. For every dollar I receive from my RNZAF pension it is means tested against the Oz Age Pension which is then reduced by 40c in the dollar. The balance is then Asset tested which in my case effectively completely wipes out any of the Oz Age Benefit by a long way.
This is how is works. This is what you have to accept. I cannot get too excited about it - in many ways being free from having to go through the degrading performance of fronting up to Centrelink and having to explain every minor detail of your private life is a bonus.
One point I would like to make is that of the being encouraged to put money aside for a private superannuation fund only to find that when you claim the Age Benefit your private superannuation is means tested. My point is - why bother ?? You might as well spend everything you have and collect the Age Benefit in total.
Regards
Harmy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.