Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Here is my situation -- I am getting ready to pay my 2000 taxes...finally I have the money for it. My State W2 has an "X" marked under pension plan. This W2 is from a company that I quit on 01/14/00. This company was contributing 2% of my income to a pension plan. I had not made any contributions to it during my years with the company. The company had informed us that we were eligible for 100% of the company's contribution if we were employed for at least 7 years or 20% after 3 years. I quit after 4.5 years. Now I have a 2000 IRA that I am trying to deduct and my accountant is not letting me do this.

My question is -- Am I considered "participating in a plan" when I have never contributed to the plan and also the fact that I had worked only for 14 days with the company in 2000.

Hope I have not confused you.

Thanks for your help!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.