No. of Recommendations: 35
People are talking about vehicle purchases as though we aren't in the midst of a serious sea change. The automotive fleet is switching over to EVs, and cars are becoming self-driving. These changes render almost any car you can buy today pretty much worthless in ten years or less.

So the car you can buy today that you are going to reasonably keep until it dies of old age is a Tesla or nothing. Five years from now anything other than an EV will be highly undesirable -- it will be expensive to maintain, hard to fuel, and restricted as to where it can go. In ten years it will be essentially worthless.

If I buy an ICE engine today, in 10 years it will not be worthless to me because I still expect I can find gasoline for sale to power it and a mechanic to repair it. Are you suggesting every single gas station will close by then?

The EV market is changing rapidly. In 10 years, a 10 year old Tesla will not only be competing with new Teslas, they will be competing with EVs from other manufacturers. Just limiting it to Tesla, a new one may have battery technology that will allow it to go 500 miles or maybe even more between charges. The old one with a 300 mile per charge limit will look dated. Also the styling will change over time.

So, yeah, go ahead and buy that new Tesla. It's the only sane and safe choice. Plus you can now get one for under $40,000 before incentives.

First, I find your whole post self-serving due to your large Tesla investment. Second, Tesla doesn't make what I consider to be a real SUV. And the one they like to call an SUV is $84,500.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.