No. of Recommendations: 11
People living paycheck to paycheck without wasting money, which is what is being talked about here, can't save for the future, retirement or otherwise.

I take public transit to and from work. My sense of the people I see riding with me as we pass a local university most mornings is that quite a number of them have made deliberate choices to spend money on what I would consider frivolous consumerist items. I suspect further that I make more than most of them, have much less consumer debt than them, yet my jeans, shoes, and cellphone are older and cheaper, I do not have cable television or home internet access, and I don't buy a famous coffeeshop chain overpriced breakfast most mornings. If I have extra money in my pocket, it's because of the choices I made not to spend it. This has been true for as long as I've earned a wage, and I guarantee you it was only in recent years that my income level would be consider anything better than "poor".

Show me a person living paycheck to paycheck, and I'll show you at least one way they waste their money. I do myself, but I do it deliberately and with full knowledge that I'm doing it, every time. Intelligence, heritage, education is no excuse- being financially savvy is as much a survival instinct as knowing not to walk in the bad part of town after dark.

Just my opinion, of course.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.