Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
People make way too much about the economy when it comes to politics and the economic abilities of politicians.

Hi kjkraut,

That seems to be the perceived wisdom these days, except when Tinkershaw is arguing how essential the tax cuts are for investment and spending. I may be too cynical but I'm pretty sure if the economy was doing much better Bush and Ari Fleischer would be reminding everyone how great the Bush economic plan has been.

You mention the only thing Bush can do is cut taxes or increase spending. I don't believe that is really true. For example, telecom is in a depression. Huge job losses. What is Bush's plan to address that? What is his position on needed changes to the 1996 Telecommunications Act that would give the baby Bells the incentive to make the massive investment required to bring broadband the last mile to the masses? Surely that would be good for the economy. And it doesn't involve spending. It involves changing certain laws so that the incumbents have some assurance they will see an acceptable return on capital.

Bill Mann (TMFOtter) has written right here about why that is neccesary and how it might be accomplished. Others have written on the problem as well. Have you heard anything from Bush on moving a plan forward?

http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2001/foth010718.htm

There are many things like that that could be done but are not being done and that is why even Larry Kudlow type Republicans have lost confidence in the Bush economic team and why changes will probably be made soon. It simply isn't accurate to say that the only things that can be done are spending or taxes. Or nothing.

Mike

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.