Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in my early 50's, and neither a terribly experienced nor nuanced investor, and am rather risk averse. And while I don't trust this market, I don't want to miss out.

I was lucky enough to sell a good chunk of my holdings in early February, just when the mudslide started. My emotional place is that it would pain me more to lose than to miss out a little bit.

One of the ETFs I use is IVV. I also use IUSB, and balance my account between those two funds to give me a simple way of investing in stocks(IVV) and bonds(IUSB)(e.g. 30% in IUSB, and 60% in IVV, 10% cash, etc.)

I have two accounts. Standard Brokerage and Roth, both at a major online brokerage.

The brokerage account has mostly cash, that represents a decent amount, what was left over after selling a very modest house, and paying some debts. This is my safety net, my living expenses for at least a year if I lose my job. I want to get in on the good prices nowadays, but of course don't want to lose my shirt. This account is 80% cash, 10% IVV.

The Roth has about half the brokerage, and is 100% in IVV. And that's okay. I don't intend to touch that for years.

I haven't put any money back into IUSB (yet), because I don't really know anything about how the current situation will affect the bond market other than "It's generally safer than equities".

I've recently learned about Percentage Trailing Stop Orders, and think this may be the tool for me.

*** MY FIRST QUESTION ***
I intend to fully invest 80% IVV in the brokerage account. Then set trailing % stop orders as follows:
3% loss, sell 10% of the investment
5% loss, sell 20%
8% 1oss, sell 30%
12% loss, sell remaining 50%

Those 3/5/8/12% loss figures are a wild guess. Thing is, I don't want to sell the whole smash if it's just a bump.

*** SECOND QUESTION ***
Assuming a tranche approach like this is not a bad idea, where is a good place to look for the %loss figures? The standard deviation?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Best regards
--NTKDT
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
What is your experience with stop loss orders? Most find that market volatility triggers them within days of when you place them. These days even your 12% stop loss is likely to trigger within a month or so.

As to %loss figures, take a look at the one or five day chart on Yahoo Finance.
No. of Recommendations: 3
The stop loss order is one of the worst ideas ever in the history of finance. It's also a contradiction of what this board is about.

Why are you selling just because the stock price declines? It's likely an even better value at a lower price. You should be selling because your stock has risen to your estimate of intrinsic value or because you see the fundamentals deteriorating. If you can't handle a measly 10% correction, you shouldn't be in stocks. Even Berkshire Hathaway stock (the REAL blue chip) gets corrections.