No. of Recommendations: 8
Perhaps a bit less spittle and a tad more reason would be in order?

I'm just calling a spade a spade. And I thought I was using a fair amount of reason. The usual attitudes I hear (and apparently the thread initiator hears) are that "my payments into social security are (or should be) mine. I should be able to get them back and invest them as I choose because I could do a whole lot better than the government does."

The only logical response to that is that attitude comes from a complete misunderstanding of the social security system. It is not insurance. There is no binding contract between you and the government promising benefits in the future. The only guarantee is that earnings from your labors are generally subject to the tax currently. There is a handshake promise (which has been generally met, I would add) that you will qualify for benefits down the road based on your payments into the system. But those benefits are not binding and are subject to the whim of Congress. (And again I admit freely that Congress has generally taken that handshake promise seriously and is not using their power to adjust at will lightly.)

Granted, Social Security functions much like insurance - or more correctly an annuity. And it can be analyzed like such an annuity. But when you get down to the brass tacks, it is not insurance and the government is not an insurer. It's a [mostly] self funded welfare system for the elderly and disabled. Giving people an actual account and allowing them to direct its investment to any extent would be a significant change to the system and will almost certainly have multiple unintended (although likely foreseeable but ignored) consequences.

That last part is what gets me into spittle territory. Which, I suspect, is fairly close to your own opinions.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.