Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Perhaps global warming is seen as an opportunity to discredit science.

That's probably it. The "see, even scientists can't agree and they always change their mind, so come to the Bible that hasn't changed since God gave it to us" attitude. That's probably exactly where climate change fits in.

I'll concur with that. In my fundamentalist Christian high school, a teacher read an essay to us during chapel that disparaged science. The main thrust of the essay was that science was always changing. I clearly remember one line: "A ten-year old science textbook is nine years out of date." Of course, no points to anyone who can guess what unchanging book we should focus on instead.

To a fundamentalist science-hater, "change" is never "improvement," since the body of knowledge that is changing is ipso facto a cheap imitation of the already-perfect truth. Scientists can "change" their minds about something all they want, but they'll never measure up to the unchanging perfect gospel. And if that gospel declares that God made man from mud, then no "remarkable new findings about the origins of humans" is going to make a whit of difference to the True Believer.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.