No. of Recommendations: 1
Perhaps I'm overly suspicious, but I would wonder what happens if the lovely retirement community comes under financial stress, or perhaps goes bankrupt, or perhaps gets bought by an entity like Romney's Bain Capital.

Anything is possible, obviously, but there is a *contract* that is signed when you enter. Read the fine print. Does that mean one of these homes might not go bankrupt? No, I suppose that's a possibility, too.

As it turns out, my BIL is a nurse in a "senior" home, but not one of the nice places, and one which exists in large part on government payments of Social Security and Medicaid. It is not nearly so nice - there are two people to a room, for instance, and you are limited to what can be stored in a single bedroom dresser (hey! Just like college!)

The entertainments are fewer, and I suspect the food not as good, but it's not the end of the world. There is still companionship, television, and the occasional banter from the help staff. Now I'm not saying "this is desirable", but then living alone in your house with no company and drooling from your mouth while sitting in a wet diaper is not my idea of a good time, either.

As much as we don't like to admit it, we will probably all require help at the end of life. Thinking we're going to "live out" on our 4% and have a normal home life is fantasy, I'm pretty sure. I don't plan on having the 4% rule glide me to the exact end of the runway on the last drop of jet fuel; I plan for it to get me somewhere near, and then check in to a facility which will complete the flight in some sort of acceptable style.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.