No. of Recommendations: 1
Perhaps it would be wise to have two extinguishers - one near the door, and one across the room. That would seem to address all the concerns and benefits expressed for both locations.

Just an outline of my personal preferences.

The last thing you want to do if you have a fire is waste time getting to your extinguisher.

Recognize those places you are most likely to have a fire, and place one (or two) in a readily accessible spot.

I have an ABC Extinguisher in my kitchen, under the sink; it's about 5 feet away from my stove, and if I have a grease fire, should be accessible. But if not, and more of the kitchen is involved, I also have another ABC directly off the kitchen in the laundry room.

Although the fireplace is gas, with no flammable material nearby, i'm a firm believer in Murphy's law, so I keep an ABC nearby in the Entertainment center.

I keep two extinguishers in the basement; one relatively near the furnace and water heater, and one at the base of the steps in case fire has spread.

Although I have no danger areas on the second floor, I keep two ABC's up there also; one in the master bedroom closet, and one on the other side of the floor in the utility closet.

I have two ABC's located in the garage, on either wall, and take particular attention with regards to fire safety in the garage; flammable liquids in a fire cabinet, oily rags in a fire can, lids of garbage cans firmly closed.

Folks...extinguishers are cheap; don't scrimp.

v/r

Michael
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.