Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, I'm finally about to open brokerage accounts for our IRAs. I'm planning on using a Foolish Four approach, at least to start.

I'm used to making regular investments in mutual funds (dollar-cost averaging), mostly because the discipline is the best way to guarantee that it happens at all. I clearly don't want to be making monthly stock transactions with the money that I will be adding each month, as this would result in paying too many commissions.

My planned approach is to try to find a broker that has a no-transaction-fee S&P500 index fund available and make regular purchases of this fund; then, when I do my periodic shuffling of the stock portfolio, move money from the index fund to be used for the new stock purchases.

Comments, anyone? Alternatives? Thanks...
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings, Alr, and welcome. You wrote:

<<OK, I'm finally about to open brokerage accounts for our IRAs. I'm planning on using a Foolish Four approach, at least to start.

I'm used to making regular investments in mutual funds (dollar-cost averaging), mostly because the discipline is the best way to guarantee that it happens at all. I clearly don't want to be making monthly stock transactions with the money that I will be adding each month, as this would result in paying too many commissions.

My planned approach is to try to find a broker that has a no-transaction-fee S&P500 index fund available and make regular purchases of this fund; then, when I do my periodic shuffling of the stock portfolio, move money from the index fund to be used for the new stock purchases.

Comments, anyone? Alternatives? Thanks...>>

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me. Many Fools use it, so you will be in fine company should you do so as well.

Regards…..Pixy

Looking for a low cost Index fund investment?

Vanguard 500 Mutual Fund has about the lowest fees.

You might also take a look at some Amex products, including their Spider, which is a trust that tracks the S&P 500, or the MDY which track the mid caps.

There are some new spider products as well that track nine different industry segments of the S&P.

I was able to get some good literature on these from the AMEX site.