Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In June 2007 I bought a house, fixed it up, and rented it out for 2 1/2 years. I moved into the house in January, 2010 and currently live there.
I am considering selling the house. I estimate that I would net $120,000 in a sale, but my cost basis is $160K, so I would experience a loss. I depreciated the house about $12,000 total on my 2007, 2008 and 2009 income tax.

Can I sell the house, claim a loss on the sale ($160,000-$120000=$40,000) deduct the depreciation of $12,000 and take a long term loss of the remaining $28,000?

I guess the question is whether or not the house can be claimed as a rental house and not a personal residence. I know that a loss on a personal residence is not deductible.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.