Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Personally, I am inclined to agree that the headache of keeping track of all the transactions is best kept to a minimum, so you should invest on a quarterly basis. I think that the extra amount you would earn by investing say, on a monthly schedule, would be minimal.

But lets analyze it for the sake of argument. Let suppose your real rate of return is 8%- probably higher than what you will get from the market, but a reasonable estimate. Now lets compare quarterly, monthly, and yearly.

If we examine this monthly, quarterly, and yearly then we find:

After 1 year:

monthly: 24867
quarterly: 24708
yearly: 24000

After 5 years:

monthly: 112056
quarterly: 111339
yearly: 108146

After ten years:

monthly: 360248
quarterly: 357940
yearly: 347677

So you can see that after ten years, you are down by about $2308 if you go quarterly instead of monthly. You are down $12,571 if you go yearly instead of monthly.

Comparing quarterly instead of monthly, you are out 0.006 of your capital, or less than 1% by changing strategies. I personally don't think this is worth it- you would be better off spending that time on paperwork researching new investments, which would increase your return far far more than a tenth of a percent a year.

However, it is a bit better to go quarterly than yearly, to the tune of 3% of your total asset base. Again, not a huge thing- you would be better off again with researching better investments. However, quarterly seems like a good strategy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.