No. of Recommendations: 0
Personally, I like the Omaha Steak quality!
Print the post Back To Top
halco:

These are weird times.... and times we all will never forget.

We continue forays to our local Hannaford's and Price Chopper supermarkets a couple of times a week. Things like milk don't last forever. We wear gloves and stay away from people as much as possible, and bring our own canvas bag to take stuff home in, and my wife bags the order herself. I also tend to use my credit or debit card vs cash to minimize handling dirty money, and gloved fingers on the keys.

We see Hannaford's people scurrying around gathering things for those orders and wonder: How do you know who else has handled stuff in your order? At least WE are the only ones picking our stuff up! Of course, there is also the matter of ensuring that produce is the best in the bin, as determined by my missus, vs whatever they pick up and plop into your bag.

If one is unable to get to the market, obviously those services are great, but as long as we can get in there, and thus select what we want, we do it ourselves. That is especially true of, say, packages of meat or fish, to select the best packages of the right size and price.

Of course, our two grown kids go nuts when we admit we went out like that, but we've been okay so far. And if THEY pick up things and bring them to us, then THEY will be exposed, too, so how do you win?

We were interested to actually see some toilet paper rolls and paper towels this week on the shelves of Tops, too. We hope that supply line will stabilize one day.

Good luck to all.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 11
We continue forays to our local Hannaford's and Price Chopper supermarkets a couple of times a week.

You are part of the problem. Only one of you should be going and only as necessary. It's not hard to go every other week.

This behavior is why I went to pick up and now to delivery.
No. of Recommendations: 4
We continue forays to our local Hannaford's and Price Chopper supermarkets a couple of times a week.

ummm...EEK!! The Plague is getting worse. Consider moving to once every other week. I was doing once every 2-3 weeks but now aiming for a full month. And I ain't so special ;-)

Things like milk don't last forever.

Did you know you can freeze milk? I've never done it, but so I've heard.

I haven't used dairy milk for a couple of decades. Have you tried almond, oat, soy, etc milk? You can even make your own. I've made almond milk (you need one of thise high-speed blenders, though) and oat milk is even easier (regular blender or food processor is enough). I've also made cashew cream, which is really easy. IMO they taste as good as dairy milk. When my father lost his business when I was a kid, we ate more frugally, including non-fat dried milk--I think it would be more palatable with cream added.

Cream lasts much longer than milk. I buy 4 qts of half & half at a time (4, 1-qt containers), and it lasts a month. Heavier cream even longer. Just check the dates. Check the date when purchasing--dates at least 4 weeks out not a problem in my experience.

I bought 4 boxes of boxed (shelf-stable) whipping cream and a large "tub" of freeze-dried heavy cream powder to use when fresh cream runs out. I refuse to buy commercial "coffee lightener," which I not only dislike but has questionable ingredients.

Bread. If I had room in my freezer, I'd store it there, but I don't so I keep it in the fridge (I buy bread without preservatives so it would only last 2-3 days without the fridge). I bought ingredients to bake my own, but it's been a long time... maybe when my current loaves run out. They won't last a month at the rate DH eats bread.

We wear gloves and stay away from people as much as possible

Excellent. Do you have masks as well?

and bring our own canvas bag to take stuff home in

On advice, I stopped using my reusable bags, which could pick up the virus on them, and take disposables again, which I throw out.

my wife bags the order herself

Good idea.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Only one of you should be going and only as necessary. It's not hard to go every other week.

What she said. I leave the hubster in the car when I shop. And chide him for trying to help me put the bags in the car. (He has dementia and doesn't understand any of this. But you do! Stay out of public places as much as possible!)

You & your wife are even older than me(!) and take medications for chronic conditions. Your odds aren't great should you get sick. Be more careful, please. I don't want to discover sometime soon that there's no more RetiredVermonter on the boards :-(
No. of Recommendations: 1
Okay so far... as far as you know. There is a time lag between infection and symptoms. And not everyone infected has symptoms, so they just keep spreading.

My daughter feeds seven, so she must shop every week. She also buys the few things I need, and I visit her driveway for the exchange. We stand around in the driveway and talk for a while, and I go home until next time.
Venture to the Walmart neighborhood market just after it opens during the week.

Maybe 20 cars in lot at 7am. More stockers than shoppers at 7am. (senior day is early Tuesday and they open at 6am for seniors)

Half the shoppers wearing masks/gloves.

sanitary wipes at entrance for carts.

Scan my own groceries.

Today they had paper towels - and some TP rolls but not many. No Kleenex other than 'facial wipes' which are not good for sneezing.

Good stock of veggies and fruits - didn't notice any shortages of anything.

Good stock of chicken and many meats.

Cheese - some package size and varieties missing. No mild cheddar....

Beans - good selection canned beans - but no low sodium pinto beans on the shelves but pinto beans of various kinds there.

Of course,no sanitizer and wipes....they are prioritized for health care workers/public safety workers, etc.

In and out in 20 minutes. Bagged my own. only thing that had to sit on scanner were things than had to be weighed. Everything else was not placed on the scanner but above it. Came home, washed hands, unloaded, washed fruits/veggies, put the plastic bags outside for at least 5 days before re-use for garbage, etc. Washed hands again. Left the packages of things that won't spoil, cans, etc, in garage for five days. Then will restock inside.

I usually shopped twice a week, but now making it every 5-6 days and not on a weekend. Usually very early.

the Walmart just changed hours - now 7-8pm or so...except Tu for seniors at 6am.

Whole Foods has senior hours I think Tu Th at 7am for an hour......

t.
I have resume my deliveries from Imperfect Foods for fresh produce. I have a ton of stuff in freezer and pantry, but just need to supplement with fresh stuff. About the only thing I need to physically go to the store for is milk... and I can live without milk for quite awhile.

Imperfect Foods is kinda fun, btw. They have different stuff every week, and you can choose what you want. “Imperfect” doesn’t mean old or nasty—usually it means either surplus stock or weirdly shaped carrots and slightly smaller fruit or whatever. This week’s box had giant carrots—I made coconut carrot soup yesterday that turned out great.
No. of Recommendations: 11
Two stores “a couple times a week?” And you BOTH go?

We’re never gonna lick this virus.
My wife and I were each taking turns doing grocery shopping no more than once a week. If one of us gets the virus, we both will get it. So sending one person shopping cuts our odds down by 50%.

We wear food handler rubber gloves and use an N-95 mask (used), both of which I have from my woodworking hobby. Not perfect, but it’s all about reducing odds.

This week we tried InstaCart at Wegmans. We had a chance to communicate via text with our shopper, but the substitutes weren’t great and no one picks fruit and produce better than we do.

In either case, we have a process before the food comes in the house. Everything that can gets wiped down with Clorox wipes on the porch and then handed to the person inside. All paper (including bags) and cardboard gets left outside and placed in the garbage. We wash our hands before and after.

My wife thinks I’m crazy and my brother-in-law pities his sister for having to put up with me. They’re probably both right.

AW
We've tried Instacart and Shipt, with a preference for Shipt (better substitutions and communications) but Instacart shops at our local Food Lion, which prices tend to be a bit lower.

So far, so good. A few substitutions weren't ideal but nothing I couldn't make work. I wouldn't use these services in normal times as I can be picky, but in exchange for not getting exposed,I can live with imperfect produce. The only thing I haven't liked is a substitution of a big pack of chicken wings for a whole chicken, (Instacart)but it was what they had...even if I was there in person, it was probably what would have been available. And I got several meals out of those, so it all worked out. Shipt, OTOH, texted me with four options of what was available when the store didn't have a whole chicken (again!) so I could pick out a substitute that I knew would be available.

it is weird "shopping" on Friday morning and not getting delivery until Sunday evening, but we've adjusted to a 2-3 day lag already and as long as you know that's the deal, it's not bad.

Drill here: they leave it at the door. We bring the bags in, set on floor, take items out and wipe down with alcohol, place on sanitized counter, throw away bags, wash hands. Leave tip via the app.

It's more expensive, but I can still use coupons, loyalty cards, and compare prices from different stores. I suspect I've saving in other ways just from staying at home.

cm,
interesting times
We are in NorCal, and so far 95 cases in the County..

That said, we'd done a Costco run the early part of the 3/11 shelter order, so we were fine for major stuff, but the weekly shopping, we do early and I only drive, DW does the in-store runs gloves until now when masks are needed. Next week a Costco run, as DW can't really lift the heavies, I'll go in, they are wisely limiting access to 2 members, should help. Other limits on TP and such are in place, so we'll see how it goes.

I have an Excel shopping list we work off of, checking what is needed before we go. We have taken requests from elderly friends, for specific products, handle them as we can... So, lots of wipes, sanitizer already on hand, we should remain fine..

I've had bouts of pneumonia and such over the years, so DW won't let me do the weekly runs, otherwise she could just stay home, let me work off the grocery list I made up when she had foot surgery last year.. We managed..

Hopefully shortages of paper products, eggs fade away, hard to guess how the fresh foods will hold up if we can't find farm help in this mess..

Stay home, stay safe!
I have never in my life had any necessities delivered (other than the diaper service I had 35 years ago when the kids were little).

That has changed. I have *just* placed my first order with Publix for grocery delivery and holy cow, it was expensive. But I can afford it because I LBMM, and my health and the health of my family and the community is worth the extra money.

Isewquilts...staying safe in a deep red state ain’t easy sometimes...
Hate to burst your bubble AW but if you and your wife live together won’t either of you getting exposed mean both of you are exposed? Symptoms don’t show for weeks, so unless you are living in a duplex.... shrug. But maybe it’ll flatten the household curve....

Daughter is a biology major said something about “homeostasis of the environment”. I’m a computer geek so I’m not an expert in germs but I think it means everyone in a house gets exposed.
No. of Recommendations: 2
We are lucky here. The Old People's Home has TWO services.(apart from all our dinners delivered with regular fruits, veggies, (4 courses) and sometimes extra treats per bag daily,)

1. They have a minimal pantry here on the premises and on line you can order eggs, milk, tea, coffee, butter, toilet rolls,(only 2) kitchen paper rolls (1) soap, laundry detergent, a few toiletries like deodorant or toothpaste....and your order comes to your door, your costs are put on your monthly bill...and you can only order once a week

2. You order groceries on line, from one of 4 local groceries (Safeway etc) and get a time reserved for pick up. Our transportation department gets the online copy of the receipt and picks up your groceries at the appointed time. Our first order is due Monday 3p.m

Of course with 800 residents here and approx 300 staff they want to be very very careful.....we stay in our homes unless we go for a walk, and then we keep 6 feet apart.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Hate to burst your bubble AW but if you and your wife live together won’t either of you getting exposed mean both of you are exposed?

You’re not bursting my bubble. :)

And yes, you are absolutely correct. If one of gets infected, were both going to be infected.

The point I was trying to communicate (sorry I wasn’t more clear) was that if both of us go to the store at the same time we have twice the chance that one of us gets infected (eventually infecting both of us) than if only one of us goes to the store and gets infected (eventually infecting both of us).

Going to the store together creates two chances catch the virus.

Going to the store alone creates one chance to catch the virus.

Make sense?

AW
Just got my first Publix-Instacart delivery, a few hours earlier than scheduled. Got everything I ordered, no substitutions. I tipped her 20%, seems fair enough. Overall it probably cost about $18 extra to do it this way vs shopping myself, most of that was the tip. I live alone and the $1200 check I've got coming from the gov will more than pay for shopping this way for the next several months.

Strange times, strange strange times indeed...
Here is what we figure: We can spend "x" on getting groceries delivered Vs. DEATH.

We spend the extra on groceries being delivered. It's slightly more expensive. We wipe it all down when it comes. I mean, if I can spend an extra $20 or $30 bucks and not be unconscious on a ventilator. It's a "no-brainer."

I read an article about a choir in Washington state. This was when this was all really starting there. They had used hand sanitizer, refrained from hugging each other and no one was coughing. I forget how many, but I think most of them got the virus. A couple of them died. They are pretty sure the people got it from each other by just breathing each other's air during the choir practice.

I seriously suspect we are going to find out this virus is more contagious than anyone is thinking now. Time will tell. But, for us, grocery stores just aren't worth the risk. We will be getting all of our groceries delivered until there is a vaccine.

Footsox
"I read an article about a choir in Washington state. This was when this was all really starting there. They had used hand sanitizer, refrained from hugging each other and no one was coughing. I forget how many, but I think most of them got the virus. A couple of them died. They are pretty sure the people got it from each other by just breathing each other's air during the choir practice."

Yeah....breathing 'hard' - like singing....and spewing lots of air out - in a crowded choir with dozens of people standing side by side/in front of each other - is a total disaster. Duh! Virus particles all over the place.

It only takes on 'silent symptom case' to spread it to just about everyone else there who is deep breathing to sing....taking in mass quantities of air.....to sing. Just think about it. You couldn't find a worse place to be than in a choir or church service with pews packed and people singing out loudly........and breathing deeply to be able to sing......other than a gym packed with people sweating and breathing hard on aerobic exercise machines side by side.

Likely, the ages of the folks in the choir were probably up there too-......not many Millenial types in church these days and with time to do choir....

t.
We spend the extra on groceries being delivered. It's slightly more expensive. We wipe it all down when it comes. I mean, if I can spend an extra $20 or $30 bucks and not be unconscious on a ventilator. It's a "no-brainer."

Are you sure you are spending more ? I may not be because what's available to order is not as much as what might be in stock at the store and I am shielded from impulse purchases.

I read an article about a choir in Washington state.

In Colorado Springs, a bridge tournament where then someone went to a large choir practice has spawned quite a few cases and death.
In Colorado Springs, a bridge tournament where then someone went to a large choir practice has spawned quite a few cases and death.

I don't understand how people can still be doing any of these sorts of things, and yet I am also reading about churches that are having services and people who are going. I am a practicing Catholic, and in MA, all the churches are closed. Our parish priest, similar to other parish priests, is actually saying Mass each Sunday and putting it out on Youtube with a pointer going to people who may wish to attend, but do so at home.

Even funerals are not being held here. My cousin passed away 2 weeks ago, and although his siblings and mother went to the funeral home for the funeral, that was all that attended. The funeral home live-streamed the 10-minute service, and the rest of us attended virtually. They'll do a memorial service at a later date when it is safe. No sense in the rest of us taking the risk.

I have friends as well as my brother who winter in FL, and they are just staying there instead of heading back up north so that they don't have to fly or drive and come in contact with who knows what. I am currently sewing masks for my brother and his wife so that they can wear them if they need to go grocery shopping or to the doctor, which is about all they are doing down there. Not sure what they have for grocery delivery, and if they are using that yet, but I'm sending these anyhow.

Crazy times.
I don't understand how people can still be doing any of these sorts of things

Unfortunately, although Colorado jumped early and shut things down, the bridge tournament was slightly before(Feb 29) people were very aware and I think patient 0 had come back from traveling. There was also an older women who went to the DMV to renew her license because you have to go in person over 65. That was one of the first things shut down/changed by the governor.

I am on the third floor of a building and I can look down to the street to see people doing stupid things all the time. CO has an advisory to be wearing face masks when out and I am not seeing them. This is a very active state so I find it hard to believe skiers, bikers and hikers don't have something to use without having to make anything.

Not above my means because I can afford it but I did order from Omaha Steaks for meat - it'll be frozen and vacuum sealed and it was a good offer.

People here seem to consider shopping recreational - it is a problem. I'm getting delivery and can go more than two weeks between.
I can afford it but I did order from Omaha Steaks for meat

Reviews of Omaha Steaks are mixed. I would be interested in your opinion when you use it.
I'll be using the Publix delivery service to get my groceries for a while. I think grocery stores will be one of the hotspots where this thing will really spread over the next few weeks. So I'll spend more $ but hopefully stay safer.

I would say that this isn't "living above your means." You *may* be buying too much insurance, but there's so much uncertainty that we don't know right now if it's too much or not.

Too much insurance: Paying $300 more every six months for comp/collision insurance vs. Liability only on a $1200 car with $500 deductible.

Who knows if it's too much insurance: Paying a little extra to reduce exposure to disease *when all the risks aren't quantified* yet.
Reviews of Omaha Steaks are mixed. I would be interested in your opinion when you use it.

I can tell you now - I don't care. I don't have to go to the grocery store. That's all I cared about.
Just to offer a different perspective and philosophy.

Doing my best to follow the guidelines. BUT, not obsessing about it. This cure is worse than the disease. I firmly believe in the NH license plate motto "Life Free or Die" and, IMO, we are getting closer to a lock-down on personal freedom. If that happens, put a gun to my head because I don't consider that "living."

Not many will agree with me. Still, from a purely biological sense, these situations are a necessary part of the world we live in. 500,000+ people die each year from the flu - I don't see anyone yelling "pandemic" each year when this happens.

I am in the higher risk age group. If I get this virus (which I believe has been around for a while) and die, so be it.

Bottom line, I would rather die than live in isolation and restricted lifestyle.

Again - just an alternative perspective. :)
I can tell you now - I don't care. I don't have to go to the grocery store. That's all I cared about.

We have access to Prime Fresh and other delivery services. I am curious about Omaha Steak's quality.

(I have been frustrated enough with a vegetarian that I considered sending them Omaha Steak's for Christmas.)
The current issue is overloading hospitals.

My husband is higher risk than me. If the risk was just mine, I wouldn't be quite so restricted. We are in a hotspot though new cases and deaths are decreasing.

All of the events/classes I attend have been suspended. The locations are closed. We have been forced to online only for the investment group.
Personally, I like the Omaha Steak quality!

Thought I would circle back around on this one. It was a brilliant move on my part considering current limitations on meat - enough servings for about a month just from this order and I have other options in my freezer. I also later got a thank you note for my order. It is entirely possible I will order from them again sometime in the future.

And I have yet to go to a grocery store - only delivery on other items.

Over the years we have had two orders from Omaha Steaks.

The first was serval years ago when DH received a gift certificate as a birthday gift from our son & family. We ordered filet mignon and while they were very good tasting they were so thin they were hard to cook so we never order again.

Fast forward last month we received an order from Omaha Steaks as a birthday gift from our son & family since they couldn't take us out to dinner to celebrate. OMG...they were perfect in size and tasted so good! Our DIL ordered a different more expensive cut of filet mignon than we had tried so now we know!

Utahtea