Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Personally, I take the most risky of all positions by remaining 100% invested in common equities; but for incidental cash positions; backed up by the ability to borrow up to 5 years of typical living needs.

TheBadger.

I fall somewhere in between. While I agree that the 100% safe position is as stated by Pixy and intercst, I hate to see so much money tied up in cash or short term CDs, notes, or bonds. I find that 2 years of living expenses in a safe harbor is sufficient, with the ability to draw on a line of credit if the need arises. I often have wondered whether it would be better to go the route mentioned by TheBadger, which strikes me as being reasonably safe under most circumstances. Being a bit of a chicken, I have opted for something a little more conservative, but I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has run the calculations on risk/return for having to draw off a line of credit for 2 or 3 three years in order to avoid selling into a down market.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.