Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Personally, I would have a hard time working for startup again....

Yet, I wouldn't trade the experience of having worked for a startup.

The year is 1990, I'm fresh out of University...and I land a job at a startup...they've been around for about 5 years at that point...and I'm Engineer #6.

The company did research on explosives.....initial blast propagation type work, later got into structural interaction. At one point public works got interested in our work, because they wanted to protect government buildings against car bombs, etc. This was shortly after the Oklahoma bombing.

The company was working on rolling its expertise into an Engineering software package....the work had primarily come from defense research projects.

But, after working there for 7.5 years....out of the blue, the day after thanksgiving....I got a call near the end of the day....and that was it....I had been laid off....sign some papers, turn over my access, clear out my cubicle, take my severance check and never come back. The decline in defense spending, etc. was identified as a cause....the company had plans to broading its revenue sources...but it hadn't happened at that point.

The company finally went away in March 2001. How would they have known that later that year there would be a sudden surge in defense spending..... my parents did ask me to move back home, because a defense contractor over there was hiring like crazy...

But, I left that world, because I didn't like the fact that I was just a contractor (for 7.5 years) and could be laid off at the drop of a hat....which isn't to say that continuing to work in the computer software industry isn't without its risks.

The Dreamer.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.