No. of Recommendations: 7
Personally I wouldn't use a real time protection problem on a Mac. Malware Bytes is best used as the free version and then manually run a scan once a week to see if you have any issues. I haven't used it lately but unless they have changed things, that would be my recommendation.

You can turn off the real time scanning that it defaults to, as well as the reminders to buy the premium version. Just do a google search for instructions if you can't figure out how to do so.

As a general reminder, malware can be placed almost anywhere - attachments, embedded inside things such as chargers for phones, electronic cigarette chargers, etc. And freeware certainly has more than its share of malware embedded into it, especially windows products. Someone can download a legitimate version, modified the binary file and then upload it.

I'm guessing very few people do it but when you download software you should verify the hash of the software to ensure it is what it is supposed to be. Not fool proof but at least it is something.

https://www.howtogeek.com/67241/htg-explains-what-are-md5-sh...

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.