Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Personally I've never used auto pay for anything since I'd rather not delegate that control. Once a month you sit down and do it manually. No different than credit cards, utilities, etc.

The mortgage payment is the same every month, so it can easily be put on automatic.

However, I used to do it as you say, sit down once a month and pay everything.
Once we were on a 3 week cruise and our tablemates mentioned that they had been on a 60 day cruise. I asked "How do you pay your bills while you are gone?" He said that they used automatic bill pay. For the mortgage is was simple, for the utilities and credit cards he scheduled payment for slightly more than what he expected the bill to be. Even if the CC was more than he paid, no problem. He might pay a little bit of interest but would not get dinged for a missing or late payment.

There are certain things I'm terrible with. Getting gas just seems so tedious I often run my tank close to empty.

I used to do that, too. But I got cured of that one Tuesday. We were on vacation at a resort that week and I had filled up the tank Monday afternoon. Next day, Tuesday, was 9/11/2001. All the gas stations had lines around the block. Then they started closing because they were out of gas.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.