Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Peter
I'm doing this from memory, as this study we did was in the early 80s. But we compared future net savings at retirement (ages 65) because that was a good end point due to retirement and lifestyle changes. As I recall, the renter had already passed the homeowner in monthly housing expenses at about age 55-60 or so.....i.e. the homeowning twin was making savings contributions. This occurs because the P&I on a fixed rate mortgage is constant while rent grows with inflation although most of the other expenses of ownership (property taxes, insurance, maintenance) also growth with inflation. There is a 'cross-over' point on the total monthly housing expenditures. But this is separate from the total amount saved. And I don't think we calculated when the future savings amounts would have theoretically been equal

An issue we had some debate about was whether the principal part of the P&I payment should be considered a monthly expense, as it really is a form of savings. I think we finally agreed that it was really a measure of available household cash flow and the principal payment was really a form of forced savings as part of the monthly housing expense that would be recaptured in later years...so it was kept categorized as a monthly expense.

This is all very theoretical and academic, as no two people would ever live this way....but it was a kind of fun exercise. But it did show the affect of the large costs of buying and selling...which sometimes gets overlooked when comparing just the monthly costs of buying vs renting.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.